1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pinion seal

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by clark lawn, Jan 14, 2006.

1. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

anyone else ever have their pinion seal rot out. Yesterday noticed oil under the rear end went to buddies shop put on lift and the metal around the seal was rotted. took about 20-30 min to change. no other marks on drive just started leaking that day and was down almost a full quart of oil. that could have been really bad in the middle of a storm!

2. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

buddies 2001 2500 TD went, he put it on too tight, i remember we checked it with a temp. gun and it was really hot. i forgot exactly what the torque was to tighten it but make sure it isnt to tight or else it will get hot and eat it up again cause it happened to him.

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

torque on what pinion nut? that should have nothing to do seal nut holds flange onto pinion if you are getting alot of heat that would be a bearing going bad. when i worked on big trucks i would use a 1" impact gun to tighten the nut and never had a problem over torqueing for light trucks i use a 1/2" impact gun and never had a problem. if seal was installed crooked and rubbed flange that would also cause heat and premature wear.

4. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

ahh yes correction! it was his bearings that went bad somehow i thought otherwise... appologies-