1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pinion bearings

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by f250man, Sep 26, 2010.

1. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Anyone know how to tell which pinion bearing is bad inner or outer on a 99 Ford superduty 10.5" rear end ?

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

if one is bad, usually the other is aswell.any slop in one bearing will quickly cause slop in the other.

3. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

that and the worn material from the bad one with chew up the good one.

4. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

It just started to make noise and I parked it and there where no metal shavings in the gear lube at all I was hoping it was just the outer bearing.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How do you know it's not a carrier bearing?

6. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I was told it was the pinion bearing by the sound it is making. No noise while driving but when coming to a stop it makes a grinding noise

7. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

crawl under and move the drive shaft around, see where the play is. i have never seen a pinion beariing go bad that hasnt had shavings in the gear lube. by the time its making noise the bearing is well worn.

8. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Sounds like brakes to me

9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Well trust me its not the brakes

10. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Replace them both, you're going to have to set the backlash anyway and replace the crush collar. Might as well do it right the first time. otherwise, the rear end will grande on you. It's not a question of if, but when.........