1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pinging???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by flakesmeangreen, Dec 10, 2001.

1. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

'97 250HD, 351, 70k...if i start it and take right off it's pinging/tapping, if i let it idle for a few minutes first it's fine...obviously i'm no mechanic...what might it be? weather/temp doesn't seem to matter...

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

its possibly piston slap in its early stages,or a noisy lifter.Hard to say from where i am without actually driving it,but thats my guess,does it do it worse under heavier loads,or as it revs up does it get louder,like right before it shifts to the next higher gear?

3. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

really couldn't tell u if it gets worse under load or reving up, been trying to let it idle...if not i've been using very light throttle...

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Could be a problem with the computer controlled spark advance. If a sensor is bad or a vacumm line unattached then it may be sending a bad signal when cold. This could cause a wrong advance curve and lead to pinging.

5. John DiMartino

CT18-if any of what you mentioned was wrong,he would have a check engine light glowing on the dash,he didnt mention that.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That is true. Unless the light is burned out. :D

7. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

Just brought a 90 f250 with a 460 5 speed 2wd. my 96 f150 with the 302 5speed 2wd made the same noise. Its a lifter noise, but from what my mechanics tells me it usually doesnt happen to around 100k. Just let it warm up a few minutes. If it persist or bothers you, switch to a higher vescosity oil,or use an additive, like stp.

"Snowflakes are like pennies, by themselves, they aint much, put a whole bunch together, now you got something".
    Regards,
    Tim McGonigal
    RCI
    Atco, New Jersey

8. John DiMartino

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Makes me happy I own diesels.