1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pinging noise?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by kysnowman, Jan 16, 2007.

1. kysnowman

kysnowman Member

I've got and 03 ram with the diesel, and I'm experiencing a pinging noise. Wanted to hook truck up to computer at service shop to see the problem but they didn't have one and told me to try a fuel additive. They said the diesel fuel that retailers put out are extremely low in sulpher and the fuel additive should balace it out. I think it's BS!
    Anybody have any opinions about it. Espeacially diesel owners who may have same problems? 113K on motor!

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Do you run Power service or any other additives? If not I'd try running some through it.

3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Agreed, try a cetane booster first.

4. kysnowman

kysnowman Member

no haven't tried that

5. lawnman20

lawnman20 Junior Member

ping

if it a ctd and the ping is kind of loud it has a bad injector i have 4 of these trucks and 2 of them have had bad injector a computer they plug in at the dealer will not tell you they are bad they have to check them by there self Gene

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

How many miles on it?? The first thing I would do is dump a bottle of Howes Meaner cleaner in it. Then Yes go to a fuel addative. I love FPPF Total Power. I get it at Fleet Pride. $10 a bottle and it treat 250 gallons. U has higher Cetane boost than the others +8 and has better Lubricity. Also have you ever gone over too Rottella T syn oil. This really quiets down the truck. But try the meaner cleaner first. That will clean out the injectors and see if you still have the noise. FYI DTR is a great site to ask these questions on. One other question. Are you up on all your maitnence. LIke doing a fuel filter ever 10k or less?

7. kysnowman

kysnowman Member

I found the problem low oil level. I know I fell like a jack ass. The problem has been going on for a month and I've been checking the oil level, so I don't understand. I do all the maintenance for all mine and my wife's vehicles over the years, but this is the hardest truck to get a gauge on the oil level. Every time I check it it says something different. I'll fill up with fuel check the level it will say a little low, I'll fill up again and it will say normal.

8. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

I don't know if the diesels have had the same problem, but on my 99 Ram 1500 with a 5.9, I developed a bad manifold leak that was sucking about 1 quart of oil per week.

9. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Very popular Problem on Dodge Gassers.....NOT on Diesels....

I Don't have a 3rd Gen Diesel so i don't know what could be happening....but guys on this site sure will....www.tdr1.com

10. kysnowman

kysnowman Member

Thought I found the problem a week or so ago but the low oil was not the problem. Finally took it to the dodge dealer they started to work on it yesterday morning, called about 11 am and said they found large amounts of kerosene in my fuel tank. Took the fuel filter off, dropped the gas tank and found rock salt in both. After wondering how the hell this happened my wife I decided it had to be vandalism. Called insurance agent and he's taking care of everything. I was relieved I got out of the 1200 dollar bill of replace fuel pump and filter. Thought everything was cool until I got another call from the dealer and he said the truck sound alot better at least we can start it now but there's still a noticeable miss going on and mechanic thinks injectors need replaced. We talked about injectors yesterday and he said close to 600 hundered a piece times six injectors. So 3600 hundered more on top of the already 1200 hundered.:dizzy: Thank god this is a insurance claim and not out of my pocket. Hell not real far from a total price of getting a brand new out of the crate motor.

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Time to get a good locking fuel cap....

12. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Wow........I wonder if they tried to Run any Cetane Booster and injector cleaner throught first.BUT hey I'd rather have some brand new sticks. What the hell is this 600 for a stock stick? Thats BullSH!T those dealers Will say anything to get the most out of you. Thank goodness its going througth your insurance. Are you considering putting on a locking Fuel door?

Tell The stealer you want these injectors put in your truck.!!!!!!!!!!!:yow!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bosc...ryZ33554QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

13. kysnowman

kysnowman Member

Definately buying a locked cap. That just a guess on the injectors, but I believe they might be dropping a new motor in there because now the adjuster is worried about the added cost of the injectors and then there still might be problems, because it's been running pretty rough for a week or so. They haven't really got into the motor yet until the adjuster comes by tomorrow. There indicating they don't know what else they'll find that's why I'm thinking brand new motor.

14. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

WOW!!! Thats a pretty S#*TTY thing for someone to do to you! Don't know what you did to piss someone off that bad or if it was just bad luck. I don't have many people that are obviously out to get me, but I'm going to buy a locking cap friggin' tomorrow!!!! I just never thought about them for vandalism, just idiots trying to steal your fuel. Always figured since I was the only one around my area with a diesel that I wouldn't have to worry about it. YIKES! Hope everything works out for you, keep us posted.