1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pin Upgrade

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by LwnmwrMan22, Feb 7, 2007.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Just to let those know, that don't already know, there's a pin upgrade available.

The pin I'm talking about, the 1" horizontal pin that holds the moldboard onto the "A" frame of a V plow, mine's a RT3.

Anyways, it used to be a pin that had cotter keys on both sides. I sheared the cotter key off and the pin started to slip to out, letting 1/2 of the plow hang a hair lower.

Anyways, got the pin pounded back in, but I got tired of trying to get the piece of the cotter key out of the little hole, not much room to work with there between the moldboard, the cylinder and the rest of the stuff hanging around there.

It didn't help that it was -15 all weekend.

Anyways, called up the dealer finally, figured I'd just pay them to fix it, heated shop and all.

He said bring it over, there's a new pin they use. There's a welded washer on one side, and a threaded locking nut on the other side, so no more cotter keys.

The bolt / pin is about $20, so if you look at your plow, and you've got cotter keys on the pin holding your moldboard to your "A" frame, it might be a cheap $20 to spend, hate to have that moldboard fall off in a stacked snowpile in the middle of a storm because you sheared the pin.....

2. BobC

BobC Senior Member

3 years ago Boss supplied 2 washers to weld to the pin so it didn't fall out after the cotters wore. Mine has been no problem with the washers welded on, it has seen heavy use for 3 years!

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It will not fit the RTIIs:cry:

I wish they made one like that for the RTII.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow pins

i assume this is a smart hitch ii plow this fix used to be no charge to new plows under a factory recall .the stainless steel roll pin did not last to long,the dealers were paid to replace them

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, smart hitch 2.

The dealer didn't charge me for the labor, just the pin.

I probably could have argued that point as well, but the owner (guy I deal with) wasn't around, his helper rang me up, and it was snowing, I needed to get going, it wasn't worth arguing over the $20 right then.

6. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

I got tired of pounding my pin back in so I welded a big washer on each side. Then I read in the manual that for heavy use to weld washers on!:dizzy: