1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pilot Travel Centers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTSolutions, Nov 9, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Well, i thought i had my clients all set up for this year, but one of my subs was at the nearby Pilot station fueling up and snaps a pic of a sign on the door saying they are accepting snow bids for the season.

Now, its Nov. 9 and they are looking for bids? Either their current contractor backed out or they are looking for some cheap guy to do it. Its a decent sized lot and would probably need 1 truck and 1 skid with a 10" box/blade for about 80% of our storms and I could throw another truck at it during a heavier snow fall.

I looked it up on google earth and someone left a comment regarding their pumps acting funny, they also said that they should hire a better contractor b/c they had to walk through ankle deep slush lol.

My first question to them will be "Are you just looking for a contractor with a better price or are you looking for better quality?" This will let me know what I may have to deal with. So does anyone have any experience with them or any other travel centers? I know they are 24hrs and include a Wendys drive thru, but what inherent issues are there that I may not realize off the bat? Lots of semis for one thing...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

We did several Pilots 2 years ago. We took them on for cheap. :nono:

There were a couple plowing events where the manager was not on site to sign for the service. He was phoned before hand and said yes to plowing....that he would take care of the paperwork. Well, he never did and we were stiffed for several pushes. They never did end up paying for these.

Also during the initial negotiations they implied that they wanted salting services, and they agreed upon the pricing for this. Once winter started they denied salt and never did salt once during winter no matter the conditions.

Their verbals are absolutely worthless. Don't believe a word they say. Be very careful with them as they don't give a rat about the contractors they choose to do their work.
  3. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

Pilot is low-cost bidder 100% of the time. They do aprtial plows, no salt, dodge paperwork and will nickel and dime your services. As big as their lots are, best contractors for them are small guys, owner operators, single truck with a blade that is willing to drive around in their lot for an hour and get paid $50.
  4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

watch out for the lot lizards. Other than that probably a good idea to find out what they are looking for, cheapest possible, or best service with reasonable price.
  5. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The local Pilot around here paid 37,000 for a seasonal contract last year, and turned down a 23,500 price for seasonal this year stating they paid to much last year, and need to recoop money for this season to try and balance it out. They are holding out for a 15,000 seasonal price is what I was told.
  6. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

Done one here for years, and still have not heard about this year yet!!??!? It is pretty sad that they can't figure things out yet one has a hard time making money with them. They have a 3 inch trigger, never salt, and pay hourly or per time. If they were not right down the road from me, I would not even bother with them. I have better luck with USM and WalMart
  7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

A pal of mine did a place similar to a pilot, said it was a disaster, semi's parked every ware with extension cords running to them, he ripped a few off trucks and had some angry truckers, couldn't see them buried in snow, added a lot to his time on site, I'd find out if this would be a problem before bidding
  8. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Why don't you tell us how you really Feel......:laughing:...:eek:
  9. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

wow, didnt think it was that bad, first number that popped in my head was 25-30K if they wanted us on top of everything.

anyways, i got ahold of the lady who supposedly is in charge, remember, there was no sign there on friday, and i called today and she said they have already finalized it. so in the span of sat, sun and monday they took on bids and approved one? glad I dodged this bullet!
  10. kdlandm

kdlandm Junior Member

They bid every year. I'd take a pass unless you really need the work.
  11. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Truck stop with plug ins huh.....:rolleyes:
  12. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

they were managed by slm waste. cheap