1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pictures problem?

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by wxmn6, Sep 25, 2003.

1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Recently I am having problems with pictures loading up on Plowsite. Those pictures that are posted by members. The pictures will start to load up, and in most case, it stopped about half-way, incompleted. Kind of like it got timed out, but I do not believe that it is the case. Anyone else having the same problem? I have been on Plowsite for years and never had a problem like this until this week.... :realmad:

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Steve, not me. All the pictures load good for me most times, the only thing I notice is that sometimes where there is supposed to be a picture, there is just a red X. I right click on it and select show picture and most times it will then appear. I never experienced the problem you are talking about though. Mike

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It's been happening to me, I suspected my connection as I've been having trouble in that area. Usually happens where there are multiple photos on a page.

4. wxmn6

Yep, it seems that it happen when I am on a page with multi-pictures. Recently there are some threads with several pictures attachment.

It could be a local connection problem. Could be our one line poster that is plaquing all over Plowsite on our local server & bogging it down. Man, what a mess. Would that be a good possible explaination for the problem we are having? ;)

pumpkin:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2003
  5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

This has been happening to people at Lawnsite as well. So in case the same reason applies here I will say this. Make sure you are accessing Plowsite by using www.plowsite.com , not any of the old addresses that we used to use to get here. If that's not it, we'll need help from Pierre possibly?

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I guess I have been lucky then if you guys are experiencing this, and I have not? I do come here the way BRL mentioned. I have it saved in my favorites on AOL as www.plowsite.com. I hope you guys get it taken care of somehow. :drinkup: Mike

7. wxmn6

This problem has not improved at all since it started. It is becoming really frustrating to me. :realmad:

What could be the problem and how do we fix it? :confused:

8. BRL

wxmn6,
    Sorry to hear you're still having the problem. Beyond what I had posted about the link, generally these problems turn out to be related to the particular browser that a member is using. Post what browser you use & which version of it in this thread when you get a chance. I'm going to ask Pierre-Luc to check out this thread because he knows the specifics of the usual potential browser problems & can hopefully get this resolved for you. Since the recent server changes, we have not had the "Server Busy" problems that we were plagued with before, so I would guess its not that type of problem you are having.

9. plsoucy

plsoucy Member

Images load fine here and the server has been running very well since LawnSite was moved away from it.

As BRL said, please post your browser and operating system (as well as their versions) here and indicate if you're on a dial-up or broadband Internet connection and I'll see what I can do to identify the problem and help you correct it.

Thanks,

Pierre-Luc

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

I've had the same problem with the pics.Does sound like it times out or something.The page shows it's done loading,but only half the pics show up.If I reload or refresh the page,it's the same.Stops in the same spot.At first I thought the pictures were just like that,but now I realized they are cut off.

I'm on dialup at the office,and it's quite bad there.Haven't noticed it at home with high speed.

IBM R series P4 laptop
    Windows XP Pro with service pack 1 and all other available updates.
    Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 and all available updates
    56.6K dialup

Have also seen a lot of database errors lately,and for long periods of time.Haven't been able to get on at all for a few hours.This morning was another example.

11. BRL

Have you been doing the normal maintenance stuff on your computer regularly? I remember in the past having the half a picture problem & it went away after I defragged, disk clean-up & dumped the temporary internet files, etc. The overall internet experience had been bad along with the picture problems & doing that stuff after having not done so in a long time took care of it.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Computer gets a once over every week.Still tons of room on the hard disk.I don't think it's my computer,as other sites with lots of pictures come out fine.Still takes a long time to load,but they never stop until finished.

13. plsoucy

plsoucy Member

I have increased some timeout values in the Apache web server configuration files, please let me know if that helps. My guess is that the problem was that the server closed requests from your computers after 20 seconds of inactivity (the previous value), and that might have been too short if you were busy downloading several pictures, especially on dial-up connections.

As for database errors, the latest ones were due to a server hostname changed that I performed yesterday, and which confused the MySQL database server - it therefore did not want to start after its routine restart this morning, thus making the database unavailable.

I have corrected that soon after I noticed it around 10 AM, and you should not see these errors again for a while.

Regards,

Pierre-Luc

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

Thanks,I'll let you know if it happens again.

15. BRL

Or... What he said! :D Thanks Pierre-Luc.

16. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

still cant post

I still get this error . What does it mean ?

Warning: ftp_login(): Login incorrect. in /home/virtual/site3/fst/var/www/html/admin/functions.php on line 2265

Cannot connect to FTP server

17. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'm still experiencing the download problem. I've only been able to see about half the pictures in the post BBQ thread. There's no improvement when I try to refresh the page.

I'm using Internet Explorer on dial up, usually connecting at about 44K. I'm using Windows Millenium.

18. plsoucy

plsoucy Member

Do people on broadband still experience that problem or does it affect only dial-up users now?

For those who are affected by this, do you visit other sites with so many pictures on the same page and if so, do you have trouble loading them too?

Thanks,

Pierre-Luc

19. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't get it when I'm plugged into my network at home.My server has a high speed connection,so they download pretty quick.

Only seems to be on dial-up,when I'm at the office,or somewhere else where I have to dial in.It also only happens on long threads with lots of pics.

It doesn't happen anywhere else,only with Plowsite.

20. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I forgot to mention my server is Earthlink.

I don't have the trouble anywhere else either, but I can't say that I've tried to download that many large pictures all at once anywhere else either.