1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pictures of plowing in Alaska

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well,.. it's the end of November & so far we've had 35.8" of snow, officially, at my house, with alot more in some other areas close by, and with no end in sight until the end of April,... :eek: payup Anyway, I've plowed close to 100 jobs so far, & took a few pictures of what it's like around here... first pic is of my deiveway at night... almost ¾ mile long... the curving line in the windshield is a crack... :waving:

Driveway at night (2).JPG

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

This is another driveway going thru the woods... :waving:

Snow this high before Thanksgiving (2).JPG

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Most of my plowing is at night... :waving:

Plowing at night (2).JPG

4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

In some places the snow banks are considerably higher than my 30" blade already... :eek:

Lots of snow early (2).JPG

5. rawfish

rawfish Member

wow looks beautiful there, and man do I wish we had the snow you had to ski and ride my sled!

6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

The last couple of days it's been pretty cold... -42° right here at this school yard... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Piles higher than the truck (2).JPG

7. rawfish

rawfish Member

damn -42? Do you use aircraft oils so the oil does not turn into sludge at that low of a temp?

8. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

It's always best if you can avoid doing this.... :angry: :dizzy: :mad:

They don't make roads as wide as they used to... (2).JPG

9. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

payup payup payup falling from the sky... :D

Snowing like crazy (2).JPG

10. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Nope... no special hydraulic fluids.. but your plow will run stiff & slow til you plow for awhile... I hate plowing at this temp.. but sometimes I have to... :salute:

11. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

you must be in Fairbanks I'm in anchorage and thankfully it hasn't been that cold. got a few good storms so far tho. looks like a good season's a coming.

12. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

That's awesome! Snow from November to April! Pretty damn cold, though. Nice shots, by the way.:)

13. kubotazd21

kubotazd21 Member

Awsome pics. Keep em coming

14. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

What do you use when your driveway closes in?

Hi, You are only a month into snow up there and the bankings in your driveway are getting high and wide for your pickup to throw snow over,what do you do(use) when the driveway closes in?Do you have access to a blower to clear the bankings?
    Allan.

15. Big Chief

Big Chief Member

Great Pictures!!

Hey Alaska Boss , Those are really great pictures of lots of snow. What do you use for pushback? This is my rig That I plow with here in rural Colorado. I have 5 contracts and 3 are rural subdivisions. 1 is 12 miles long of extremely challenging roads. I will take a bunch of pictures this winter and post them. Thanks for the great shots! I hope I dont have to send one of Big Chief getting pulled out. Grant.

oshkoshtwo.JPG

16. Oshkosh

Grant did you get hit with all the snow?

Grant did you get all the snow that Steamboat got?
    Allan.

17. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

No,.. no access to a blower, but I have several friends that have dozers, so if I can't keep it open thru the winter (almost has never happened), I can get them to push the banks back. Since I know my routes quite well, I just go faster & can throw snow over banks that are almost eye-level if I get it right away when it's light & fluffy. Otherwise, on longer drives, I always make open areas/pulloffs so vehicles can meet & pass each other, & if the banks are getting too high to windrow, I just carry all the snow to these areas & stack it.

18. Oshkosh

Great photos by the way.

Hi, makes sense,here in New England those bankings would turn to ice in short time.lol
    Keep up with the great photos and have a great season$$$$$$.

19. Scott R

Scott R Member

AK boss
    You have me beat, we have only seen -37 this year,(Fairbanks) warmed back up now to -4
    Looken good on the snow, good base for this years spring riding out of MaCarthy, I'll pass through your way a time or two this winter, keep em clear :D

20. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Yup allways best to avoid. Great pics keep'em comming.

murphyslaw love the way you made a truck in your signiture. Me thinks someone has to much time on there hands.