1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pictures of On-Site Bulk Salt Storage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by TurfSolutionsMN, Oct 25, 2009.

1. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

We are looking at building an on-site bulk salt storage. And are looking to see what other people use. We have concrete barriers that are 8' long 4' tall that we use for rock but the bottoms are flared about another foot and we would really like to use these. Also should it be fenced in? Pictures would be great!!

2. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

Come on someone out there has to have some ideas!!

3. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

4. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Those barriers would work good! Sea containers is what is used by every one I know. I use the 2x2x3 concrete blocks at my shop. I like them because we can change the bin around as needed.

5. TurfSolutionsMN

from MN

I think i'm going to get a sea container I found a 20'x8'x8.5' for $2100 delivered is that a good price?

6. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Doesnt sound bad, ive seen them for $1200 no delivery.

7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I paid $2300 delv for mine, same size as you mention above..... Im using it to store my salt.... I'm also in the process of making a sand/salt "bin" with the same 2x3 blocks as mentioned above behind the container to store the mix....(I've got customers that want both,.... pita) Just last week I was able to get 30 ton of bulk salt in the container (that was packed, I'm ordering 25 next time to have alittle easier time loading it) ....took about 1 1/2 hours to do with the skid

9. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

What do you estimate the life of the container to be with the salt inside. I own a Line-X spray on bedliner store. If I bought one do you think it would be worth spraying the inside? Or just buy a new one when the first one goes to hell?

I have been thinking about selling bulk salt but never thought I had the space to store it. A shipping container would work great because I have limited space.

10. zeek

zeek Member

I think as far as the container goes that you wouldn't want to waste the line-x on it, the skid will tear the crap out of it unless your super careful. Unless you put in 2x6 planks around the bottom so the bucket doesn't hit the wall, but it sure would last a long time. I line-x everythig I can, it's the best.

11. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

We spray all the metal parts on most of the salt spreaders that leave our shop. It's an easy upsell for any one that has tried to keep a salt spreader looking decent.

Good point on the inside of the container. I am not sure why as a Line-X dealer I didn't think of that. DUHHH!!

12. zeek

zeek Member

then.....

Huh....What way do I take this for my opinion..... I would hope the DUHHH was not directed at me. You asked a question and I answered as a fellow Line-X guy should, I wasn't trying to make my answer sound stupid. Just answered the question.

13. s_melchi

s_melchi Senior Member

Nope it was directed at me. I can't believe that I didn't think about the skid steer tearing up the Line-X. Kind of a dumb question for one of the largest dealers in the country.

That DUHH was meant for me.

14. zeek

zeek Member

I do think it would work though... I know we did the whole back of a truck 3 years ago and no signs of rust from the spreader yet. So the salt souldn't soak through it either.

15. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i would think it would work great unless you have maniacs driving your skids.. , that's alot of sanding though:)

16. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Save the line ex for the trucks.

Keep dry salt in there and if you buy the container put in some vents. They will last a long time if you wash them out in the spring. Usually the sides is were the rust starts down at the bottom. Spray it with fluid film in the corners before you load it.

The skids wont tear up the floor, except at the doors when you leave the bucket to low pulling in.
    A 40' will hold 40+ tons no problem. I kept 30+ with the s250 parked in there too.
    25 yards with a snow bucket takes about 30 minutes to stack it in there real nice. Fastest I ever put a semi load in there was 15 minutes.

17. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

There was an ad in the star tribune this past sunday for $1500 for a 40'

18. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

My company has a 36' or so semi trailer that isn't road worthy anymore. Has to be 9 feet tall inside i'd think. 8' wide. $200. Located in Madison, WI. Let me know if anyone is interested.

19. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have a way to haul it? I'm interested

20. Schuley

Schuley Senior Member

Sorry I dont, it was a tool/equipment trailer ond only got moved 1 or 2 times a year from job to job and we just had a local trucking company haul it.