1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pictures Of Homemade Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIAWPUKEK, Feb 14, 2005.

1. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

A buddy of mine bought an old Nissan pickup for cheap, and made a plow for it out of a HOTWATER TANK, some angle iron, and to lift, he used an OUTBOARD MOTOR TRIM/TILT MOTOR. And it works awesome. Had to take some pics of it and show you guys! Enjoy!

homemade plow 1.jpg

homemade plow 2.jpg

2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

That guy is good :eek:

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

chains on the front tires ?

4. mreamer

mreamer Member

Hey Summit, I noticed you have an Ultramount on your '04 F-150. Does the front end sag quite a bit? I did the quick match on the truck and the biggest plow Western recommends is a Suburbinite. Is that a 7'6" Standard blade? I was just wondering as I have been looking at the F-150. Thanks.

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

What! no power angle? :rolleyes: :)

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well ain't that slick. Looks good. :drinkup:

7. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Looks real good. I like it. Does it angle or trip or anything? Looks like itd be easy to make it trip if it doesnt already. If he wanted to power angle it, heck he could just find another one of those motors and turn it sideways. Im not too up on boating, Ill have to check out what a power outboard tilt trim motor looks like. I just used a little ATV winch to raise and lower mine. Mine doesnt trip either, but its a V so itd be a more elaborate setup.

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, yeah- you've never seen that before? That's where I was taught to put em too- that's where the weight is.

9. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Thats what I told him to do too, put another motor lift on the side for a power angle. It does have a trip, but its not as flimsy as you think, Got a big ole spring right in the center. I thought it was a good job.

As for my truck MREAMER, it does a sag a little bit. I was thinking about getting something to help prevent that, possibly those rubber block things. The plow I got now came off my other F150 Flareside Reg. Cab. Front sagged terribly and no matter how fast I was going, I could always step on the gas (4.6L v8) and she would spin over on dry pavement. So that tells you there was no weight in the rear.

10. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hey Summit,
    Throw some ballast in the back and that should help some. 500-600lbs would be my guess, (I use 600lbs in my 1/2 ton) maybe play around with it and see what works best. It won't help much for raising the front end but will help with traction in the rear end.

BTW, that plow your buddy fab'd up is pretty dang cool.

Buck

11. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Ballast?

Whats Ballast (stop laughing!)? Another thing I was thinking about trying was those 3x3 walkway stones. There only about 2" thick, so even if I lay them out in my truck bed, I should still be able to put my quad or skidoo in the box.

12. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Nah, I wouldn't laugh. Heck we all have to learn tricks of the trade somewhere along the line, god knows I've learned a ton in the past few months myself.

Ballast is weight that you would add to the rear of your truck to counter the amount of weight (the plow) on the front end of the truck. Actually your idea of adding the blocks is a good idea, they are fairly heavy and that would allow you to still toss the atv or sled in the back. But I'd try to keep as much of the weight as possible towards the rear of the box, the further back it is the more counter balance you'll have. Good luck!

Buck

13. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Wicked, thanks! I'll give it a try.

14. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

15. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hey Summit...that's an awesome looking set up! The red truck/plow combo is a hard one to beat, I like the blue beacons as well. Should change your sceen name to the "Red Baron"! :redbounce

Buck

16. danno

danno Senior Member

Be careful with the "ballast blocks". Don`t let them slide ! I`d rather use 50 lb. sand bags. A little safer.
    That plow your friend has is not home made. It`s a Western plow ! :D

17. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Very good point Danno...the blocks will move and shift around. Probably not enough to come through the back window but better to be safe then sorry.

Buck

18. danno

danno Senior Member

Like you mentioned UPNORTH, maybe not the back window, but enough to give a heart attack when it slams into the front of the bed ! :eek:

19. MIAWPUKEK

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Thats the same thing I said Danno, when I first saw it from a little ways away. Especially when he painted it red. I say if I parked mine on side of his, you'd have a hard time telling them apart. I even told him I was going to buy a "Western" sticker to put on it for him.
    As for those blocks, what if I cut him to completely take the shape of my box, or do you think they still might jump up and slam up against the front of the box???

20. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I'd think that they would still jump around back there. Maybe if you laid a sheet of plywood over them and fastened down the plywood to the sides somehow...that may work.

Buck