1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pictures!! New BOSS angle-wings & center snow "hoof" fix

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Alaska Boss, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well,.. we finally got a little snow,.. I had been plowing full-time for 2 weeks last year by this date,.. yesterday we got 4-5 inches.. at least it's a start! Several days ago, we had -27°, so it's plenty cold. Anyway, I thought I'd post a few pictures of the new BOSS angle wings in action, & also my remedy for the V-blade center snow catcher. I did a search on this forum for any solutions to the phony rubber snow "hoof" that comes on all the new BOSS V-blades, & I didn't really find anything... one guy made a replica out of urethane, but that didn't seem to me to be a solution... the whole design/idea was wrong for me,... I want that middle area "sealed" tight... so when I plow, my pass is as clean & smooth as a straight-blade. and to this end, it is. And it has to be tough & hold up thru whatever I drag it thru, & so far, after a few hundred hours of plowing all gravel & dirt roads, it has. I tried modifying the stock "hoof" in several ways, & I think I made it better... but it never would leave a perfectly clean & smooth pass, so I call what I made a "wiper", rather than a "catcher". They're easy & cheap to make,.. I made up several to have extras on hand in case I do tear one up, plus I carry my modified "hoof" to bolt back on in case all else fails. But so far, so good. It's simply a chunk of rubber conveyer belting that I have bolted to the top & back of each cutting edge,.. custom cut to fit tightly thru the gap area between the cutting edges. I drilled & tapped a hole thru the thick triangle steel piece on each side of the center hinge area, that's directly above & behind the cutting edge, & then drilled a hole right thru the cutting edge itself, approx. 1" from the bottom & 3" in from the inward edge. The first rubber piece I made was a one-piece unit, but found that it buckled alot when in "V" or scoop position, so then I made it a 2-piece affair that bolts together in the middle, so now the 2 pieces can swivel when in either angle extreme. (Hope this isn't too confusing) The only drawback I can see to this, is by drilling an extra hole in the cutting edge, it may cause the cutting edge to break off easier now.. if I really hit a big rock hard, which I've done twice now in 2 years of plowing with this V-blade. But it's worth it to at least have a perfectly smooth pass now that's 11 feet wide !!! Here's a few pictures,.... :salute:

11 foot Wide-Pass position (2).JPG

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

thats a really awesome picture..i only wish PA looked the open...nice truck too...wish we had the white stuff down here, i'd love to go to alaska some day on a grizzly hunt. guy i hunt birds with went up there last year, said it was the nicest place he'd ever been.

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

A picture of what my middle "wiper" does,... this was on an uneven gravel road, to it give a good valid test

Center wiper on uneven surface (2).JPG

4. CNYFarmboy

CNYFarmboy Junior Member

That's some width there. With the 11ft you must work the sugar out of that truck at times. I am in Upstate NY, Chenango County, and we had about 14in. of snow 2 weeks ago. It was the wet heavy stuff, but I did get the chance to do some plowing. One lucky thing I would say you got going for you with all them gravel roads is that when its -45f. your gravel is frozen. Here it takes till mid Dec to get the driveways frozen down. As I am typing now we have a dusting on the ground and deck, it is for sure that time of the year again. But hey man I love the pics.

Joe

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Angle wings in action... no spilling off the front edge even when plowing on an inside turn...

Inside angling with wings (2).JPG

6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Another view of the angle wings... I run about 1000lbs of old grader blades in the back of my truck when the snow gets really deep.. but all our snow in Alaska here is dry & fluffy...

angle plowing (2).JPG

7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Showing 220 watts of back-up light... (It's better when it's dark.. :) :) )

Backup lights (2).JPG

8. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Over 9½ feet of angle width,...

Showing the width of angle II (2).JPG

9. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Full-blade width angling,.. one pass in.. one pass out.. 20' wide cleared driveway,.. (Get out of my way all you narrow Blizzard 810's.. :D :D ) LOL

11 foot angling (2).JPG

Last edited: Nov 10, 2005
  10. DELBERT

DELBERT Member

Can Ya Show Some Pics Of The Rubber Thing You Made Thanks

11. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

How the heck did you take some of those pics? It doesn't look like your in the truck in some which leads me to believe you took the pics but i don't see any foot prints in the snow?....

12. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

How'd he get the picture of the truck in reverse too?..doesn't look like anyone is in the cab.

13. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

LOL,... well, I purposely got out of the truck & walked around in a way that would'nt show my footprints. My back-up lights are double switched, so they come on automatically whenever I shift into reverse, or I can switch them on manually all the time/anytime with the other switch, which is what I did to take the picture. Or I can turn them off so they never come on if I want, like during the daytime. The batteries went dead in my camera right after I took these, so I couldn't take some close-ups of my center "wiper", but I will as soon as I get a chance.

Bumper with lights off (3).JPG

Showing reverse lights again (3).JPG

14. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

This is like wheres waldo, I found his tracks on all the pics, can you:D

15. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

After I saw your wings, I went and got a set my self.
    I'm going to mount them tomorrow. They will take my 8.2 V out to just shy of 10ft. Now we just need some snow..

16. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Out in the middle of nowhere. Where do you think these pictures were taken, looks like Homer Alaska, am I right !! Thats just my guess....anyway,, those wings for that Boss Plow, actually how much width did you pick up with them ?
    I own a (Western Pro Plus) 7'6" with the new wings and the most I can get stretching the tape is 8'10". Are the Boss wings that much bigger ?

:cool:

17. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Nope,.. sorry, this is Copper River country!! Anyway, the Boss wings actually add 11" to each side in true horizontal width, even tho the wings are a little wider than that, but they angle forward 30°. So on a 9'2" V-blade, that 22" extra width puts it right at 11' when straight. Now I'm in some fairly deep snow country here,.. I've plowed into people's driveways here where I had to climb out thru my door window to get out, because the snow was right up to the bottom of the window glass. So obviously, I'm not going to push 11 feet wide thru a 4 foot depth for very far, but I don't need to. You just take however big of a bite you can handle without straining your equipment too hard,.. that's as fast as anyone can go. But in anything less than a foot snowfall, these wings will cut my time alot, just like a Blizzard or any other plow with angle wings. This driveway right here in the above pictures always took 2 passes in & 2 passes out to do with this same plow, these wings just cut that in half ! I'd say that's a worthwhile investment. In the mid 90's, I had an 8' Snoway w/downpressure on a different truck, & back then I built an angled wing for it before I ever heard of anyone else doing it, so I knew what potential those things did at least 10 years ago. My Boss V-blade had a 2-year warranty on it, & it just expired this fall, so I was going to build some myself for this plow too, but then here Boss makes them now, so I took the easy way & bought theirs.

18. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Those are some nice pictures of your plow truck and area. That plow looks huuuuuge coming down the road. I'm going over to boss's site to look at those wings. Doug

19. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Nice Set-up

I will have to say that the whole unit looks really nice. I cut my plowing time almost in half when I got the wings on my Pro +., not quite 11' but still does a great job, :cool:

kingriver

20. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Nice truck and plow! I must say that were all jelous though. :(