1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pictures!! BOSS snow catcher "hoof" fix

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Alaska Boss, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Ok,... well, here's what I made up to replace my center snow catcher "hoof" on the newer BOSS V-blades. I, like most others apparently, were not too happy with the factory "hoof",.. I buckled mine back & under within the first hour of owning this plow... & at $70 a pop, I sure wasn't going to put up with that forever. But the worst thing about the hoof, was that it didn't even work very good when it was in place,... I might be too picky, but I don't want any snow trails at all left under my pass when I'm plowing,.. there's no reason at all why a V-blade shouldn't plow as cleanly as a straight blade (at least when windrowing), & that's what I want. So,.. this is what I made up & did,.. it may not be the best solution, but it works good & does a perfectly clean swipe, & that's what I wanted most. And with everyone's input & thoughts, maybe we can come up with the perfect snow catcher,...

First picture is the "wiper" itself. It's a piece of 3/8" rubber conveyor belting, (leftovers from my deflector), & approx. 14" long by 5½" wide with a V-notch cut out,... None of these dimensions are precise or need to be just like this, it's not that critical.

wiper.JPG

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Then I drilled 2 holes right thru the cutting edge itself,.. approx 1" up from the bottom & in about 3" from the inside edge...

Drilled holes in the cutting edge (2).JPG

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Then, on the under-side, I drilled & tapped 2 holes in the "triangular" steel piece that braces the wing together. It's about ½" thick,... & directly in line & above the holes in the cutting edge.

Tapped & drilled holes under wings behind the cutting edge (2).JPG

4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Then I clamp the wiper in place,.. & run a drill bit thru the holes in the cutting edge & bolt the wiper to the edge,...

Clamp the wiper in place (2).JPG

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

I used grade 8 bolts... they will take a beating...

Bolt the wiper to the cutting edge (2).JPG

6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Then I drill a hole thru the rubber on the bottom side to bolt the top into the tapped holes,... so the whole thing is held in place by 4 bolts,... use good stout washers on the bolts too... so this is what it looks like when done & in place from the back/underside,...

Wiper bolted in place (2).JPG

7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

thanks for the pics alaska. not sure if i want to go with the new cutting edges or try making what you have. :)

8. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

And this is what you have when the blade is down & angled to one side... a perfectly sealed "wiper" that allows NO snow to get thru,.. & is flexible enough to ride over rocks, etc without damage. It buckles back when in the scoop position, & is pulled tight when in the V position. But I never plow in the "V" position without the plow being at least a couple inches off the ground. Many times I have gone into people's yards with snow almost up to the windows on my door, only a "V" can do that, but if one plows in the "V" right on the ground, then one might rip this wiper out, plus that's the best way to break a chunk out of your cutting edge anyway, so don't do it. So, there it is.... total cost is less than $10,.. & several hours of work...

Wiper in place in straight position (2).JPG

9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I looked into the new cutting edges and was told Boss has sold out and they will have to be made for each order till next spring. AKBoss that looks like a good fix. I will try it also.
    I am going to install a set of wings tomarrow on my 9.2, anything I should look out for?

10. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Thanks I will try to do an upgrade per your sugestions when I instal them.

Just installed a PolyHawk sander today. Looking forward to snow.

12. looks real good alaska.. very similar to fishers, that of which i hve never had a problem with. just a suggestion, use some flat stock on back side of rubber to minimize distortion after the long plows

sorry for spelling, i smashed 2 fingers real bad today:angry:

13. zsqure

zsqure Junior Member

Anyone got ideas for a urethane edge hoof fix? I am also having trouble keeping the edge from "riding up" in the center at the "v". I'm thinking of drilling a couple holes in the plow and using one more bolt on each side.

14. sleepless

sleepless Junior Member

hoof

Well i lost my hoof yesterday 2 seasons like new cant understand it 4800.00$ plow and this THING is a problem already do they make a better replacement hoof or do they sell you the same thing over and over or what

PS i like the rubber replacement you did thats is a lot of work for the problem that it is but if they dont have a better plan at the boss factory you better patten that Do you know a poor mans patten is and how you begin the process?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are you running shoes?
    Those bolt holes look low by Jan. you might have to redo it.
    But i like the job.

16. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Nope,.. I don't run shoes,.. whenever I did, I just broke them or bent them & if I raised them high enough so that didn't happen, then they weren't doing any good anyway, so I just leave them off. All my plowing jobs are gravel/dirt driveways, roads & parking lots,.. no one has pavement anywhere in this part of rural Alaska, so most of the wear on my cutting edges is early in the season... from this point & on now thru the rest of the winter, everyone has a snowpack/ice base, so not too much more wear. But I had tried it at first by attaching with longer edge bolts & not drilling the edge at all, but it folded backwards too easily & took a "set" backwards then too, so it had to be attached lower to work right. The rubber wears down with the cutting edge, & with all the time I've put this "wiper" thru now, (I plow almost every day, all winter, from late Oct. thru early April), it appears that this is close to being the best position,... at this point, I'm not sure what I would do to improve it, since it's working so well. :D payup :waving:

17. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Sleepless,.. you have 3 options,... 1) Keep buying the same thing over & over,... 2) Buy the new cutting edges that are curved "inward" in the middle to close the gap,.. (jury is still out on this choice,.. might not be available in all areas, & I haven't heard any reports yet on how well it works or they hold up,... plus they appear to be rather expensive,... 3) Make/Modify your own solution. Not everyone can or has the equipment/shop/tools to do that, so you'll have to determine what options you really have. Keep watching for reports on those new curved edges,.. someone will let us know sooner or later on how they work. This thread is just on what I did, since option 1 & 2 weren't options for me. Good luck,.. :salute: :waving:

18. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Well I replaced the center shoe with the piece of rubber like you had done alaska boss. Only I used a semi mud flap. I have used it twice already and love it. I just got my 9-2 boss poly v plow about a week ago and that was the first thing we did once the plow was on the truck. My boss and i were not to thrilled with the way the factory shoe looked and saw your pics and tried it am glad i did works great.

19. zsqure

zsqure Junior Member

First of all, the new edges are sweet!!! However I believe we are being screwed by BOSS. ( or maybe just the dealer) $230 c/c. They tried to sell me this and I said "no thanks". "But it replaces the cutting edges, snow catcher, and provides two edge guards." I told him he is getting close to the price of a urethane edge that lasts 3 years. He didn't say too much. I bought a urethane edge.

20. SnowBoss

SnowBoss Junior Member

How does it work in the full scoop position? I use this position 70% plus, most of the time, moving and stacking.