1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pictures are worth a thousand words...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by PTSolutions, Mar 1, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Chalk another one up to Murphy's Law, u know how it is, if something bad can happen it will...

we were out plowing this weekends storm, 4 pushes over 3 days. My brother calls me and says "The wheels fell off" i didnt believe him at first, and hes like "No im serious come over here" so i drive over to the street he was plowing and saw his truck.

The combination of weather and snow consistency would turn the snow under the blade into glass. Even my 10,500lb loaded out F350 4x4 was having issues sometimes. Our dump is 2 wheel drive so he thinks that the combination of spinning the tire and the fact that that street had an obnoxiously large height difference between street level and apron level caused the studs to shear off.

in a couple hours the parts place got a new drum and studs in so downtime was about 3hrs total and only cost around 150 bucks. so not as bad as the oil cooler lines, trans replacement, warranty trans work, plow breaking down repairs we had to do.

2. PTSolutions

Crazy drifts, the VXT has 39" blade height, the drift on the right was taller than my blade:
  3. PTSolutions

i walled myself in lol. this stuff was heavy wet and packed real good:

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I've heard and used the expression, I'm going to drive it until the wheels fall off. Looks like your brother really did
  5. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

Luckily you did not have he 2wd loaded with salt.
  6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

You guys dont run any weight in the dump?

Weird things happen when plowing!
  7. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Its tough to be prepared for that.
  8. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

I was home on a saturday about a month ago and a guy out in front of my house had the left front wheel on his older 2500 chevy fall off. I looked out the window and saw a bunch of cars slaming on their brakes because he was on the inside of a blind corner and people were damn near rear ending him. I deceided to lend him a hand by putting out some road cones and giving him a car jack to lift the front end. All eight studs sheared right off but there was enough threads to get the wheel back on to limp it over to a side street. He ended up having a guy with a trialer come and pick him up. I guess you never know when things like that can happen.
  9. Freebird

Freebird Member

drive it like you stole it!
  10. PTSolutions

if you look at the first pic with the tires in the dump, they are resting on about 2000lbs of washed 57 gravel. we built a bulkhead that keeps the stone up against the tailgate and it acts as ballast and traction aid.
  11. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

thats the second time iv seen this this year other 1 had 4 ton of salt in it tho
  12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Yeah it was very heavy up here in Cleveland this weekend. Once I started on a long push with wings on the 8.5 I would get a huge load in the front of the blade. Just had to keep her moving at a good speed to complete each pass.I have a pile in the corner of one my lots that is about 8 feet high and 30 feet long by 30 feet wide. The kids in the neighbor hood made it into a fort. Now I just have to make sure it is clear the next time I plow there. I told the maintenance manager about the kids for safety reasons and he put some tape and cones around it to deter them from playing on it.
  13. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Did you have any issues with the blade raising up and riding over the snow after a long push? I tried pushing in straight, angle, and scoop and I couldnt get the blade to ride on the ground after about 100 feet.
  14. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Ouch is right! Dang!
  15. Jello1

Jello1 Senior Member

Ouch, that stinks. I saw a local guys Dodge ram cummins with a blizzard break something in the front end the other day. Both front wheels were on 45 degree angles with the ground, tops facing in.
  16. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Dang you have had a tough winter man!
  17. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

Kinda looks like poor maintiance if you see a rust trail around your lug nuts onto your rims then you almost have loose lug nuts which will cause your studs to snap off as they have done
  18. PTSolutions

where do you see a rust trail when i didnt even post pics of the lug nuts??

i just had a discussion about this on lawnsite and it wasnt due to poor maintenance. these tires were put on in november and the lugs were checked for torque shortly after as well.

this has been a common problem with the chevy clamping plate design as was mentioned to me by someone on lawnsite.
  19. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Wow man. You have about seen it all this winter. And I thought my $1200 truck repair was bad a few weeks ago. Hey, it can't get much worse and at least it's snowing like crazy out there!
  20. clinicalenginee

clinicalenginee Junior Member

That happened to one of the township trucks a couple years ago. F550 with the infamous ford problem of the lugs working loose. It didn't help that he had a full load of salt when it happened. My uncle helped him unload it with our tractor into another truck.