1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picture of Truck I am buying, Fuel Mileage ?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by jjklongisland, Mar 19, 2008.

1. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I left a deposit on this truck... What do you all think. Its an 03 Suburban 2500, with 6.0 ltr, 61,000 miles Autoride, quadrasteer and every available factory option...

Anyone know what gas mileage I can expect in the 6.0. I was looking at the 5.3 1500 series and found this, more truck than I need but its cool, wondering the difference in fuel economy versus the 1500...

2. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

idk the fuel milage but that is one sweet truck:D i love that green
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

My guess would be 10-12 city and maybe 14-16 highway. It may be geared different than the Silverado's so it may be better on gas. That thing looks sweet though!!!
  4. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

5.3L will get 15+mpg
    6.0L youll be lucky to get 11mpg
  5. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

I have bought and owned two of those. You wont see better than 10. You want me to show you what they have been turned into?
  6. jjklongisland

Gicon please elaborate... Were they 6.0 liters or 8.1...I have to be honest I am nervous about the gas... He is my situation... Currently I own an 05 trailblazer that gets 12.5 mpg.. I need more room and it comes off lease. fuel economy is a concern and I know I want a suburban so I figured a 1500 series is the way to go. I hear it gets around 13.5 mpg with a 5.3 all day long. which is better than my current ride so good... Then I stumbled across this truck... It has the 6.0 so I know its gonna eat more fuel but how much more? Cant find any real data on the 2500 series... This truck is roughly $2000 less that a 1500 Yukon Xl I almost bought last week so the price is great. The way I figure if I travel 10000 miles per year for 4 years (4 year loan) and if I average 11.5 mpg than versus the 13.5 mpg I would spend roughly $470 more per year in fuel x 4 year is around $1750 over 4 years. Thats $250 less over the 4 years versus the $2000 more I was gonna spend on the Yukon... WHAT SHOULD I DO... I am pulling my hair out..

When I test drove the 2500 the trip computer said 10.8 mpg but I dont know when it was last reset and hoe hard it was driven (probably hard cause of test drives) I reset it and took it for a test drive and beat the snot out of her and averaged 8.9 over 4 miles... That scrared me but I was pushing her hard...

Also anyone have any opinions on the quadrasteer... Do they have alot of problems?
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2008
  7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Get the 2500 and dont worry. There are small, subtle upgrades you can do to achieve better fuel economy. A free flowing exhaust, a cold air intake, and maybe a chip. I put a flowmaster 40 series on my 00 2500 6.0 and I get 12 city and 16 highway if I keep it around 65. And I have the 4:10s in it as well. I know that Sub weighs more than the Silverado, but it should have the 3:73's in it which help fuel economy. But if you have anything to tow with it, that hoss wont have any issue!!!
  8. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

It's only money, you can always make more! JK :jester: Find out the gears, that will make a difference in mpg. Doesn't seem to matter if you already have a deposit down.
  9. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

JJ, I cant elaborate anymore than what I just told you. I have owned and operated two of them. The best your gonna see is 10. Those two vehicles have now been stretched into two of the LARGEST limousines in the country. We have the only two Quadrasteer Cadillac Escalade limos in existance. We changed all the Yukon body parts to Escalade since its the same chassis.
  10. jjklongisland

I hear ya, its the wife I am tring sell with the gas mileage... I just found out that its the 6.0 with a 373 rear end...
  11. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

If gas mileage is a problem, and you need something big you should have bought a front wheel drive 4 cylinder mini van. A friened of mine has the same truck with a intake, exhaust, and chip he now gets 11 in the city and 15 on the highway
  12. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Ouch! Tell your wife not to drive with a lead foot if shes that worried about it. :dizzy: :D Not that it will go over well, but...
  13. jjklongisland

Unfortunately I cant take the minivan on the beach... 4x4 is a must...
  14. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

you take that on the beach like that and you'll be calling a tow truck...:nod:
  15. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn Member

The words fuel economy and Suburban are like frequent sex and marriage. You can't have both!
  16. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ok the 6cyl gas get better mileage anyway

i dno my sister drives hard my mom dosent know where the gas pedal is
  17. duramaxguy87

duramaxguy87 Junior Member

the fuel mileage suxs. My father owns a 99 suburban and averages about 13mpg on a good day. When ever he is towing something it drops down to about 9mpg. Even the new models with the flex fuel are horrible. We have an 07 LTZ suburban company truck and it gets about 15mpg.
    My father only drives it when everyone is going to NH or Vermont to ski. Other than that he drives his diesel jetta
  18. jjklongisland

What do you mean... I have been traveling with my trucks on the beach for over 12 years now. I never got stuck once. I always air down and drive smart... I am the guy most of the time pulling out the morons who bury themselves up to the framerails...

Well everyone I appreciate your input, as it turns out things really are too good to be true and never trust a salesman... I guess they realized the asking price of $14,900 with me negotiating them down to $13,900 was way too low for that truck... Cause the dealer called me and told me his boss inadvertantly sold it to a friend for cash this morning and how sorry he was. He never deposited the deposit so thats good but I guess divine intervention stepped and made the decision for me... I guess I am back on the prowl for a 1500 series

And as far as gas mileage is concerned, I am well aware whichever suburban I buy is gonna suck on gas, I just want one that sucks less, no pun inteneded,
  19. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

wait a min ur complaing about 15? and 13 seems real decent for a 1/2ton or 3/4 ton
  20. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

Gicon pm sent