1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pics of truck plows converted to pushers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Nov 23, 2015.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've got an old 6' meyer I run on a tractor and it just doesn't work well angled. I'd like to add sides to it, but still allow it to trip. Anyone out there have pics of a full trip plow that has been converted to a pusher? Thanks, Nick.

2. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I'm not a hugely creative individual, but I don't see how you could add box sides to a full trip plow and have it still trip. I don't think it's even possible. And with as much screwing around as you would do trying to figure it out, I think you'd be further ahead to just buy a pusher.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Spring loaded wings or wings like the sectional

4. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I think it's possible, but you would have a though time getting the wings to be solid AND the plow retain its full motion.

Now, obviously no trip and not the creme de la creme but you can buy. 6 foot scoopdogg pusher brand new for like $1,500. Doesn't take much screwing around with this other idea to make it more expensive than that.

5. oldmankent

I know I've seen some floating around. Maybe I'll just go with wings. Don't really want to add more width though.

6. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

yes it can be done, you use rubber flaps on bottom so it trips still, I got the hiniker ones

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

There was a company that made side plates that tripped. I think they might have been called devil wings or something like that.

8. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

Just use an old trip edge plow and bolt wings on other than that you would have to do something where the sides allow the plow to trip

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I looked on YouTube for that video ,I can't remember their name either

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I tried too,lol It might have been called demon wings but it was something like that. Good luck.

11. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

I'd probably build a rigid frame to hold the side plates that attaches to the plow frame. That way you could remove it when/if you ever wanted to angle the plow. The trip mechanism would still work, but as the sides would be rigid it probably wouldn't be activated much as the sideplates would lift the plow over most obstacles.

Mechanisms that allow movement but can still resist significant forces are complex to design and expensive to build. For example, it might sound simple to weld a piece of pipe to the back of the moldboard, and then build sideplates that have a smaller piece of pipe sticking out of the side that goes inside the one on the moldboard. However, any sideload will probably rip the weld apart, and there is no convenient way to add bracing to the sideplates individually. You could span across to the other sideplate with a removable X-brace, to take up the sideload and bending moments, but then the sideplates can't move individually, and if you run one up on a curb you will likely bend the connecting bracing.

When all is said and done, it would probably be more expensive to build something that will still allow the trip function than buying a used pusher of the same size.

12. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

Your right,they were done by a member," snow patrol",he hasn't been on site since 2012,had them mounted on a Western also some videos.They looked like they worked.

13. oldmankent

Those demon wings are a joke. Turkey wings are even older, but i can't find a good pic of them. No need to angle plow if I have pushed. I could just put pro wings on,but tractor wouldn't push that much snow.

14. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I agree, bolt on some rubber belting on the bottom 6 or 8 inches.

15. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

Just ran into this here are some pictures of what I built for my hiniker.... It would carry a ton of snow. I never did any windrowing so I can't say how they'd work for that!

SAM_0085 (800x600).jpg

16. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

It would carry the same amount of snow as a Wideout, 810, 8611, XLS, or Revolution. Actually less if it's only a 7'-6" blade to begin with.

17. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

Here is one I made out of a 8 fisher plow

image.jpg