1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pics of new VMD - also need HELP

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by Ram 08, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

New VMD was installed yesterday. I'm happy with the looks and operation thus far except for the mount/dismount. Let me tell you right up front I'm a newbie and have never owned a plow before. I bought this for personal use. I tried to take it off today and could barely move the foot pedals to retract the pins. The method I used followed the instructions. I let the plow down to float and made sure the lift ram was all the way down. First problem seemed to be that even in that position one chain was barely loose and the other still seemed tight to me. I placed the jack in and started cranking. Couldn't retract pins in push bar so I jacked it up more. Continued this method until I could easily pull the pedals and the pins retracted, however by the time I was able to do this easily, the entire blade of the plow was off the ground about 1.5 inches. What am I doing wrong? :help: Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. As I said, I'm very new to this so I'm sure I'm overlooking something. Thank you.

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Why didn't you get the VX85?

The only other plows I've owned were fishers and the Dogg is similar in dismount. When removing mine I jacked it up until it was basically touching the ground and have a few cranks after that, I didn't go crazy cranking it. After that you need to push the headgear back towards the truck while also trying to remove the pins. Once the headgear is pushed back it takes the pressure off the pins and allows them to comme out. After thay put some grease on the pins to help out the next time.

3. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

Thanks for the info Plowguy. I didn't get the VX85 because I'm not going to do much plowing and felt it was overkill for me.

I tried but I can't even begin to move the headgear, it's not budging. Am I right in thinking that the plow blade should not come off the ground for this process? I just went out and tried again and put some good pressure on the pedals but the pins won't budge until the plow is jacked a couple inches off the ground. Then the pedals move very easily and the pins slide fine. But then its standing on that jack alone and if I back away it will pivot forward and drop the plow to the gound, correct? Would I be able to line it back up and mount it again? Getting very frustrated here but I'm sure its my lack of experience causing a problem.:mad:

4. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

I just watched the video on youtube from Buyers about mount/dismount of the MD plows and I am convinced the dealer did not setup my plow correctly. When my lift ram is fully retracted there is still no slack in the drivers side chain. The passenger side chain barely has any slack. In the video he grabbed the middle of the chain and moved it around in a 3 or 4 inch diameter circle. I can barely move one chain and not the other one at all. I'm going to try jacking it up and moving the chains one link more.

5. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

try letting a few links out but when you put it in float do you push the top of the lift piston down till it bottoms out?

6. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

I did push on the lift cylinder and it was fully retracted already because the chains were too tight. I just finished letting out one link on each chain and I believe the problem is solved. As soon as I place the jack in and give it one or two cranks the pressure comes off the pins and they release. I don't know how the dealer got the plow on or off. Maybe they just jacked it up and put it on once. I didn't make them take it on and off when I picked it up, but maybe I should have. Problem seems to be solved so now I'm looking forward to snow.Thumbs Up Thanks for the help.

7. plowguy43

Yyeah you certainly need some slack on the chain. I am going to "fab" up a pull down cable like the Fisher uses. Basically a metal cable with a heavy spring that pulls the lift cylinder down while in float. Makes dismount much easier not having to put pressure on the lift cylinder.

8. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

That sounds like a good idea. I would like to see a picture of what you come up with when you're done.

9. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Very nice! I run Fisher on my Ram's!

10. bayshoreinc

bayshoreinc Junior Member

Sounds like a lot of work when pushing the lift cylinder down is so easy. You have to be up front to disconnect it anyways. You're also going to put more pressure on the lift cylinder to stretch that spring every time you raise the blade. Just sounds like a waste of time to me, but then again, I like tinkering with different ideas to make things easier too.

11. plowguy43

Fisher has been doing it for years and the lift cylinder on my VX95 is NOT easy to push down. I have to twist the chains to get it to start moving. Its not a lot of work either, its very simple in design and works well.

12. bayshoreinc

bayshoreinc Junior Member

I have an MD68 for my Jeep and the cylinder is really easy to push down. Post pictures when you have something fabricated up.

13. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

You need to let a couple inches of slack out of the chain. push the cylinder down. Crank the jack twice after you feel pressure. Push the light bar up a little and kick the handle. Done.

14. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

Thanks Bman, I fixed it up Saturday. With the lift cylinder fully compressed there was still no slack in the chains. I don't konw how they got the chains on in the first place and they obviously never took the plow off the truck. I let the chains out one link and it goes on and off just as you described.

15. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

Love mine, enjoy it.

16. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

Thanks Bman I'm sure I will. Unfortunately now that I have it ready to go, it's supposed to be in the 50's for the next couple of days. No snow for a little while. I guess that's the way it goes.

17. RedArrow

RedArrow Member

Chains tight

If the dealer had the plow siting on wood or a crate when he installed it, that would allow him to have the chains too tight for resting it on the ground and having slack in the chains. Keep this in mind for future incidents. If you ever need to remove the plow some where unique, you could have the same issue if the ground is really low when you drop the plow. Learned that one hte hard way Thumbs Up BTW, nice looking set-up!

18. Ram 08

Ram 08 Member

Thanks Red Arrow, that makes sense. I bet that's what they did and never took it off after the intial install.

19. plowguy43

Ram08 - can you take a picture of the back of the plow wings? I want to see if Snowdogg has a place to mount "wings" to lengthen the blade, would kind of show what their plans are for it going forward.

Thanks

20. RedArrow

RedArrow Member

Touch base with your dealer. SnowDogg makes some really nice wings that I installed this summer. I believe that they work on all their plows. They are retractable (manually) and sing back behind the plow for storage.:)