1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pics of Liquid effectiveness. ( Real pics, not off a website )

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mean4x4, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

This was a pre-application. One of the pics ( Snowlane ). Lane on left was de-iced using liquid, the one on the right was untreated.

2. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Wow very impressive! Thanks for sharing!:waving:
  3. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

About pictures

the one with the most snow by costco was a rocksalt application after the 2" snowfall. The other picture of black pavement is a pre app with liquid at 50 gallons acre. Then a post application of 50 gallons acre. based on snowfall, I used 40.00 in liquid product. To achieve what one ton of rock salt would have done. Salt is now 130/ton at local supplier. 90.00 savings per acre.
  4. JLO

JLO Junior Member

what product did you use?
    Great pictures.
  5. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

This a distilled mineral well brine. roughly 25% calcium. $0.45/Gallon Delivered
  6. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Once again , THANK YOU for the information. With numbers like that and proven result I think I should be looking into a spray system.

With those cost and salt previously only being BTW $45.00 - $50.00 per ton I saw no reason to replace my salt trucks with treatment equipment. NOW, at $150.00 per ton before shipping it is time to seriously re-tool some equipment quickly.

So what product are you using?

Does is come in totes??

What kind of wetting systems are being used????? Pics??
  7. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Ditto, I agree Evergreen. My salt is still under$70 a ton but it's not going to get any cheaper. What does a typical system consist of (gals) and how far will it go?
  8. Snowgeek

Snowgeek Junior Member

Mean4x4 - I sent you a pm
  9. Banger

Banger Member

Wow that stuff works great!
  10. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

Just FYI to anyone reading these threads: I am not making miracle claims about liquid, I think so far it has worked out great, and hopefully continues to. I will say There are certian scenarios where it will not work. Ice storms & very wet snow or a rain to snow mix. I am just keeping everyone up to date on my results, and providing pictures with my results. I will continue to post results, both good and bad.
  11. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

To answer some of your questions.
    Investment into Product: 2 500 gallon spray tanks: http://www.icecontrolsprayers.com 11000.00
    1 2500 gallon storage tank 1000.00
    1 1100 gallon storage tank 550.00
    2 trash pumps to refill tanks quickly 500.00
    various hoses made to fill tanks ( good quality rubber hoses, with compressed fittings & couplings ) 250.00
    So far this has been roughly 14000.00 to get up and running.
  12. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I hit that link and what 500 gal unit did you get that cost you $5,500.00 each??

First off I know better then runnig any gas engine anything in the winter and I get all my truck dual Alt.'s just so I can run all electric everything. They do offer a 500 Gal Electric unit for a list price of $2,195.00 plus about$1,390.00 in upgrades is about $3,600.00. each. Not bad but not $5,500.00 each.

Oh I see, this supplier is an ala cart also know as STICK IT IN YOUR ARSE type dealer, where you can buy this for $50.00 but it will do you no good unless you buy the additional $5,000 in options.

I might need to do some more research on suppliers.

But thanks for your time. and the info has help open my eyes.

Best, Ron G.
  13. kimber

kimber Senior Member
    from Ohio

Awesome pics and great post. Thanks for that information.
  14. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

its a 500 gallon honda gas engine, upgraded pump, 100 foot electric hose reel. turret boom, 3 lane in cab controller with psi adjustment & guage.
  15. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

am i following correctly...you used straight up liquid and no salt?
  16. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

Yes, straight liquid. So far i've noticed the liquid drastically fails if the ground is already wet. Today we got a rain snow mix at 37 degrees, and tried to melt off an inch. We had no success, we ended up just plowing it around till it turned to water. People who used rock salt, had better luck. So It has its ups and downs, but in general, I am satisfied with the results, so far.
  17. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Im sure once you know what it can and cannot do you will be fine. Im using you as my learning curve ...........so keep up the posts!!!
  18. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

19. redman6565

well good luck. i just bought a 5,00 fiberglass holding tank so one of these days ill get ambitious enough to patch the tank so it can hold additive. i'd like to try a 60-40 mix of salt to liquid additive such as salt brine or a calcium brine...
  20. redman6565

thats 5,000....my bad