1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pics of GMC 5500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Foz, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Pics of one of our new twins:

dump-003.jpg

2. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Side View:

dump-004.jpg

3. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

How do you like it? What size plow? Looks good.

4. TrailK10

TrailK10 Member
    from NH

Thats Gotta be a Fun Toy!!!!!!

5. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

wheels

you need some CHROMIES for that

6. TrailK10

TrailK10 Member
    from NH

Id take that over a 550 no doubt about it.

7. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

awesome truck, i agree it neeeds some chrome

8. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Nice truck Foz .How is the overall performace of the truck? Have been hearing that it gets very bad millage because of some defect that they have to fix.So what is the set up on the truck what kind of dump is it an auto.How does it drive and is it easy to manuver?

9. Foz

Foz Senior Member

1. Plows are 10 ft wide vee, approx 35" tall

2. I did take it over a 550. Needed to add a second dump so we ended up trading 1 F550 for 2 of the GMC 5500. F550 wasn't a bad truck, but local service is not even in the same ballgame as our local GMC dealer. The GMC trucks are a completely different class of truck, more like a larger truck as oppossed to the Ford being an overgrown 1 ton. Time will tell, we had 4WD on Ford & GMC are 2 wheel, but we spec'd to our needs. Will update as we get more use of them.

3. Trucks have a 6 speed manual tranny & first couple of tanks we are getting about 10 MPG as seen in pic - loaded with salt & plow on front. To compare, the Ford F550 was getting 7 - 8 MPG.

4. GMC are as manuverable as a reg cab pickup, in fact I think they turn better than my pickups

Last edited: Dec 1, 2002
  10. TrailK10

TrailK10 Member
    from NH

Chrome don't get ya home and definetly doesn't get any work done. It would sure look good and may get you laid though.

11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

too bad gm dosen't have them in 4 X 4 yet i like the way you can get at the engine and the cab console.

12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Is it a gas or diesel?
    Dino

13. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Both are 6.6 Duramax Diesel

14. myo

myo Senior Member

Those are some nice trucks, Chrome would be nice but it looks good the way they are. I plan to get one in the spring.:D

15. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn Member