1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pic's of a light mounted on a ATV, WANTED!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Eyesell, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I just bought a new ATV to do the 2 miles plus side walks at one of my accounts, I would like to mount a rotating light or LED, something along this line on a pole, but am looking for any ideas.

So, as always, figured I'd ask my plowing buddies on the site to help out.

Any pictures, suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance !!

2. jazak

jazak Member
    from NJ

Maybe one of these? Mounted on a small pole on the back? They're LED & made by Whelen.

LED Beacon.png

3. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

Sorry I don't have any pics but I have a 2006 suzuki 700 with a 60'' plow. I mounted a ss pole approx 3' tall on the back rack in the conner due to box for salt. On the pole I welded a 7'' x 16'' plate and put a code3 pse amber rotator on top works great, happy plowinpayup payup

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Check this page for a video of a Yamaha Grizzly (?) with TIR3 Whelen LEDs. Sirennet has several videos throughout of different light setups.

5. jazak

jazak Member
    from NJ

TIR3s on the ATV look good.:nod:

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Get a bunch of Whelen TIR3's. Put them everywhere you can think of.

7. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the suggestions and the video link, pretty cool. I pick the ATV up on Tueday, I will probably try and rig something up. I have 10 TIR3's on my truck, at 50.00 a pop its a bit much to fill the ATV up but as soon as I do something I'll make sure I post some pic's.

Thanks again

8. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

geez .... LOL ... 10 TIR3's ... your starting to sound like the local towing company ... but when ya gotta be seen .. ya gotta be seen .. LOL

9. jazak

jazak Member
    from NJ

Look on eBay they're selling for $50 a pair.

10. Antnee77

from RI

10 TIR3's!? That sounds a little excessive. I thought I was getting a little crazy with just Hide-a-ways and one pair of TIR3's. Guess I was wrong.

What kind of ATV is it?

11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Any pictures??? I only have 2 TIR3's now, and a full LED Ligh Bar. Ive got big plans for the TIR's, but just need some other trucks to get ideas from....

12. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Just a word of advice, there is a newer TIR3 called the LIR3. The L is for Linear. It can be seen from a much wider viewing angle. the TIR3's have a narrower beam.

13. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I would go with something like the Whelen model 32 or 31 (similar model lower profile) pole mounted on the rear (could be a removable mount for off season) like jazak posted. The corner mounted TIR 3's or LIN3's look ultra cool but I think especially on an ATV you want your warning up high. You are way out in the open plowing with a 4 wheeler and out weighed but just about everything else in the area. Unlike a piece of heavy equipment if you get hit on the 4 wheeler you WILL get the worst of it. TIR3's or LIR3's would be cool extras but 4 wheelers also don't have a huge charging system so amp draw could be a factor to so try not to go overboard.

14. Antnee77

from RI

You do realize that TIR3's draw 3 amps a piece, right? That's the beauty of LEDs, they draw next to nothing compared to strobes and god forbidden halogens.

15. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Yes, I am aware of that. That is why my recomendation was whelen LED beacon and not a halogen (my personal preference if amps are not an issue).

16. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Gicon, When I get home I'll take some pic's for ya, I basically have 2 in back of my truck, 2 on each side mounted under the doors, and 2 on the front of my plow ( next to Headlights ), not really excessive at all but keeping them "stealth" is what I'm all about.

You guys really are supplying good info on the ATV positioning, I appreciate all the input. I will definitely be going with pipe mount, I too like the idea of something up high, plus the ATV has a cig. power supply. I did notice the LED Whelen beacon is quite expensive, I was hoping to find one a little cheaper since it's just my ATV.

I'll post pic's on this thread Gicon by Friday.

Thanks again guys.

17. kemmer

kemmer Senior Member
    from NJ

just go with a single strobe beacon mounted on a pole, you can get them on ebay cheap. the whelen beacons are ok, we have them on the back of our ladder truck. but i think the strobe may be brighter.

18. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Try Montana Jack's. They have exactly what you are asking for, but I think it's a little expensive at $189 (It looks kinda awkward, if you ask me). Since safety overides looks, it may be a good idea.

Heres the page:

http://www.montanajacks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1101

If you scroll down, you can also watch a video of someone plowing with the atv and beacon light.

19. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Thanks Eyesell. no Rush. Would you like my email address to send them over or naw?

20. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

BSD, I know they came out with this, but I cannot find it anywhere.....????