1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pics and Questions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Lucfw, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Hey, I have a few questions about Boss products.This might have been said all ready but I could not find much on these questions. For the snowplows could you put differnt plows on a differnt truck, or would it not fit. I am mainly wondering if you could have a straight blade and a vee on the same truck? For the plow wings i belive they are not hydralic but some one told me they where, gust wondering if they are? Also I am wondering about the Boss tailgate spreaders, do you have to have a special hook up or is it just in the trailer hitch? I would also like to see some pics of how people got there trucks set up (where they got there controllers and where they mount them, where there spreader box/ plow box is,there plow wings, ect). And how they get there wires from the tailgate spreader to the cab. Thanks its well appreatiated on any comments and/or pics.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

For the plows yes. The vee blades can do on trucks with straight blades. And vice versa. Now this only applys to plows with the same style mount. (RT1, RT2 and RT3) Even the vee controllers will control the straight blades. The wings are not hydro operated. The TGS1100 needs a different hitch due to the way it attaches to the truck. The TGS 600 thru 800 will slide in a standard 2 inch receiver.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks very much, just wondering what is the differnts between the RT1, RT2 and RT3 mount? Is it just the age or the size of plow? Thanks agen

4. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

RT1, and 2 are the older models, not made anymore.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RT1 is the first generation of plows made by boss. RT2 was made from 93 until 98 I believe and RT3 was from 98 to current. The size of the plow doesn't matter for which style mount you have. The 10 foot model plows have a wider hook up than the typical size plow for a regular pickup.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the wiresfor a tailgate spreader are ran from the back to the cab of the truck
    we ran our wires inside the frame

7. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks everone so far. What are some people useing as ballist?

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

You can go to lowe or home cheapo and get the 70 pound tube sand bags. Before I got my ebling back blade I would usually have about 10 bags behind the rear wheels. Just enough to have the truck weighted down evenly.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

tube sand and some bagged salt in case you get stuck and need traction of the sand or salt to melt ice

10. pitrack

pitrack Senior Member

Sand bags, bags of ice melt and a blower or two.:waving: maybe your sidewalk guy too if he is acting up.

11. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Is Smart Hitch3 the same as RT3?

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I have not heard of a smart hitch 3 the RT3 has been in use since 98. Any RT3 made since 98 will fit on any RT3 mount. The most current that I know of is the smart hitch 2

13. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Oh sorry its Smart Hitch 2 sorry. So is the RT3 the same as Smart Hitch2? or am i getting them confused.

14. Yomax4

Yomax4 Junior Member

Rt1

Howdy, I have an old RT1 and am curious if the lift cyllinder should leak at all around the seal. It leaks only enough that you can see a little fluid around it. It does not drip constantly or anything like that. Is this ok or does it need to be replaced. Or can it be re-sealed?

Thanks.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Smart Hitch 1 (99-02), Smart Hitch 2(02-to current)..or no Smart Hitch at all (pre-99) are all of the RT3 mounting series.

"Smart Hitch" is the feature that allows you to hydraulically attach/detach the plow from the truck rather than having to do it manually (such as the case on a non Smart Hitch equipped RT3) and all Smart Hitch equipped plows will be RT3. There was no Smart Hitch feature before there was RT3.

The main difference between SH1 and SH2 is that SH1 you have to manually operate the coupler pins and the SH attach is operated via the controller. SH2 the coupler pins are first pre-set thus spring loaded to snap in (or out) automatically and it's operated from the toggle switch on the lift tower.

16. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Oh I got it now, thanks so much it really helps. If anyone has any pics of anything that i have asked about i would love to see them.

17. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

If any one has pics of there trucks cab where the got the salter contols and plow controls mounted i would love to see them.

18. vincent

vincent Senior Member

19. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

Thanks I could not find those post before. It really helps. What are most of those switches do? I am pretty new to snowplowing.

20. vincent

vincent Senior Member

One is for the salt spreader, its mounted by itself.

The black box with the 4 red switches are for the lights, backup, strobes on backrack and in the grill, and the becon on top of the backrack. The other is the plow joy stick.