1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pickup ~vs~dually and tires

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Dublin Plow, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Dublin Plow

Dublin Plow Member

I have always been a pickup plow guy even though I own dually dump bodies.......pickups in the typical storms are smaller and handle the mess fine..all the trucks hang 9.5 XVs

We got 30 plus inches...were out from start to finish. We have some seasonal/ 2nd home clients that always get left till the end..

My F350 with a loaded sander and studded snows SUCKED in the same drive my F550 barely winced at..
    The 550 carries a 2000# concrete waste block and runs studded cap tires...
    The 350 carries a 1st gen poly spreader loaded and studded Grabbers

Both with same plow....looks like my guy is getting the pickup...

Weight difference between the 2 trucks gotta be 2000 or more ...looks like my bud is right ..

Anyone agree...or is just the 488 gears in the 550 ...the 373 s in the pickup...

550 is diesel...350 is a V-10
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like the issue was traction, so gears and diesel vs. gas aren't important. An extra ton of weight, now that would make a difference.

Traditional wisdom is that narrower tires are better because they cut through to the pavement, but I'm not sure that applies in deep unplowed snow the way it does on slushy plowed/treated roads. If not, wider (or dual, in your case) would be better, letting more tread bite into the snow instead of less tread biting and more snow packed/displaced. I know my F350 dually almost never lacked traction in even the deepest snow.
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

My dually has better traction on hard surface roads But if I clean a drive out in the country on gravel roads I have no traction My SW Pickup does better
    I notice this back in 2010 when we had over 2' of snow
    Both my trucks are F350 5.4 with 373 gears Dually is a 5 speed and SW is a Auto both run studded tires
    Do have a SW pickup with 7.3 and that thing has tons of traction off hard surface roads