1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pickup Truck Operators Three Most Indispensable Tools and Shovels

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by somm, Dec 1, 2006.

1. somm

somm Senior Member

Pickup Truck Operators Three Most Indispensable Tools and Shovels:

Tools to always have in the truck toolbox…

1. Hammer - for on/off with testy plow pins and ultra frozen padlocks.
    2. Pry Bar - to be used with hammer for real testy freezes,
    or to separate frozen hose pressure couplings.
    3 Rubber mallet - when more care is required,
    especially around your frozen engine hood release
    when you go to check your oil level.

It’s great to have an easily-liftable, lightweight 15-19”
    2-cycle snow thrower chained up in the back of the pickup,
    but there are Three Shovels never to be without during an event…

1. Flat sturdy plastic blade with aluminum handle – best for repeat small-area
    handwork is quick and lightweight, and will not damage metal railings.
    2. Stamped flat steel blade with hickory oak handle – has excellent scraping power
    (like a plow).
    3. Long handled, thick-steel flat bladed shovel – can also be used like a pick axe for when the meltings above awnings drop off during the warmer part of the day then
    freeze at night into an ice mound in front of doorways.

What’s your favorites?
  2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

You forgot some basic necessities.
    1. Ice scraper for windshield
    2. Jumper cables
    3. Extra bottle of plow fluid, tranny fluid, oil. . .
    4. Basic tool set
    5. Cell phone charger

I could go on all day. lol
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Plus Tow chains, tire chains, spare fuel...

I agree 100% with the choice of shovel- I carry half a dozen shovels usually, 2 of each of those plus a pusher type and a small short handle (d handle) heavy steel square blade for shoveling in really heavy stuff, scraping in close quarters (under wheels) and loading sand.
  4. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

15 Gallon Air Tank with 125 lbs of air
    My brain....sometimes I forget it at home.

Every plower carries a floorjack, right?

If not you should.
  5. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Geez Guys... What about the baling wire and duct tape...

Pry bars
    Tools - include wrenches pliers sockets screw drivers etc
    tape measure
    circuit tester
    elec tape
    duct tape
    extra elec wire
    chains - binders
    good nylon tow rope
    oil motor - trans - plow
    trailer balls - locks
    ratcheting tie down straps
    and my roof light when its not on my roof

I've probably missed a few things... And I will still probably be left out in the cold without a few a time or two...
  6. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Oh yes and a jack... Little bottle one and a Hy-Lift
  7. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Floorjack here under the back seat.

Im not listing everything I carry....but its extensive.

You name it, I got it in cab.

Just picked up a spare solenoid yesterday that I didnt have.

The only thing I dont have is a spare pump.

Springs, hoses, trip springs and bolts, all fluids, oil, trans, hydro. You name it. Anti freeze, washer solvent....god the list would be long...lol

All packed neatly under the back seat or storage boxes.

Hopefully you all carry a towstrap as well.

The only thing Ive ever used it for so far though is pulling mr zero turn out of ditches....lol
  8. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

I carry too much crap, added to the list this year is a portable jump pack.
    I have a duffel bag with straps, 3 flashligts, bottled water, extra gloves, rubber gloves, funnel, fluids, spray silicone, rags, paper towels, etc..

then I carry 3 adjustable wrenches, pry bar, 1/4 and 3/8 drive ratchet sets that have metric and standard in them, and some common wrenches as well.
    2 shovels, bag of salt, various pieces of 2x4s, 2x6s, plywood.
    soft truck wash brush to take the snow off, 3 ice scrapers, washer fluid jug and spray bottle, window squegee

Got the recovery strap kicking around the cab, more bottled water, seltzer, lunch bag with snacks and sandwhichs in them

decaf coffee in the cup holder because I think too much caffeine makes you jittery.

ok, now im rambling on!
  9. DJC

DJC Senior Member

Pair of gloves a jacket and a cell phone is all I need.
  10. starc

starc Senior Member

I used to beat on frozen couplers untill I thought to start carrying a propane soldering torch, use it all the time...beats replacing couplers because there all damaged from fitting them with a hammer.
  11. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Trip springs!? I'm not going to be replacing trip springs out in the snowstorm. Forget that! :p
  12. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I guess I took one major lesson away from Boy Scouts, that is BE PREPARED. I often get mocked for it, but guess who gets called when the mockers need help? I carry most of the stuff year round for venturing out in the woods often.

In the cab: gloves, coat, water, hand wipes, tool box (full 3/8 socket set, wrenches up to 1" and 22mm, wire cutters/strippers, channel locks, couple creasant wrenches, several screw drivers, allen wrenches, and a few other misc.) plastic bag to lay on when under a vehicle, chainsaw and normally a camera, oh yeah and my CB, no cellphone, too fancy.

In the bed/ rail tool boxes: Floor jack, high lift jack, come-along, pulley, several clevises, 40+feet of chain, 100+feet of straps, 1-3 shovels round, square, and scoop. spare tire, fix a flat, tire plug kit, misc bolts, wires and fittings, plow hoses and fittings, solenoid (same fits plow and truck) plow & truck coils, spray cans 8 misc carb, brake, elctrical cleaner, wd,,etc. tape-elec, duct, misc. test light, pins, springs, clips, zip ties, funnels, gas can (truck and chain saw) axe, couple hammers (ballpeen and claw), tie wire, quick connect jumper cables, fuses, light bulbs, jumper wires, ball hitches, more screw drivers and channel locks, blocks of wood, flash light, wrachet straps (about 10), oil, trans fluid, plow fluid, antifreeze, washer fluid, small air compressor, tire leak stop (green snot), vacuum/ washer tube and fitting assortment, snow scraper, chain saw file, shop rags, miny 12volt trouble light, and I'm sure I'm missing at least half a dozen other things.

I'm in northern Wisconsin, when I go out in the woods there may not be anybody for at least 15+miles at times, so you go prepared or have a long cold walk.:salute:
  13. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Hot cup of coffee.
  14. jbone

jbone Senior Member

X2 and a lot of ciggarettes
  15. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

you guys carrying cigs and coffee have never had to plow with older equipment or a old truck!

carry a few things and a simple problem does not turn into lost earnings.
    Or you may have to help someone else if they need a hand
  16. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

Well I don't plow far from home maybe 10 miles away tops.But if I had to name the most important thing to buy extra would be 1 extra solenoid.My plow went down on CHRISTMAS MORNING it was a bad solenoid.Where can you get a solenoid on christmas morning besides from santa?But to list my top 3 tools in my truck.

2. Floor jack
    3.Cell Phone

LLM said it first the solenoid I am giving credit where credit is do.;)
  17. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Pay your welder buddy $60 an hour to sit (I mean sleep) in his truck in case something breaks. He has all this tools. Most importanty his welder and torch. :cool:
  18. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I carry all that stuff but we did not get into comm stuff, power converters,charging systems,laptops,radios,camcorders and a heater/cooler for warm soups
  19. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

WOW some of you guys carry a ton of extra's, no extra weight needed in your rides lol. I just carry a few things,
    1) Extra can of fresh Cope.
    2) Tow strap for the idiots that cant drive, (now watch me get in a wreck)
    3) Cell phone charger, oh yeah and cell phone
    4) Extra set of wiper blades and fluid.
    5) A towel for some reason, I needed one last year and remember it being a great thing to have so I through it in this year.;)

I have a new truck and plow this year so I'm hoping I wont need half the crap I used to carry, well I didn't need a lot of junk when I had the older truck either, just extra stuff for the Meyer's I used to run:blush2: . I kept it in tip top shape but you never know. I dished out a lot of extra stuff to other guys over the past few years.
  20. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

all this stuff is good i guess im lucky enough to have about 6 of our largest sites less than 1/2 mile from the shop so thats where we go if somethign goes wrong

you guys are forgeting mini torch for when the plow pump freezes