1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pickup dump bed salt spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by tjcezar, Mar 6, 2010.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar Member

I saw a local guy around here had a pick up with a dump bed insert (like an e-z dumper) that had a spinner mounted at the back for bulk salting. Salt was just dump in the bed. Any one seen this? It seams like a real easy way to go without having to load and unload a v box.?

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Yeah I have a truckcraft aluminum dump insert with the sander unit on the back. A few other guys on here have the same as me and also the downeaster units. They work great. and you dont lose any visibility out the back of the truck and they hold up to 2 yards without boards.:redbounce

3. tjcezar

tjcezar Member

Sounds good. I am gonna get a new truck and want to put this option on it. Any complaints? Or suggestions?

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Jason go see Brian up at Levan's. He sells the Truckcraft ones. Another option is Downeaster, though there are a few issues with them. I also don't know if it would work on a pickup dump body but Swenson is also making a tailgate replacement. How was your season? Things looking good for spring?

5. tjcezar

tjcezar Member

As you know plenty of snow. Tore up lots of equipment but al in all good. I definately won't be using bagged salt anymore (if I continue with snow biz). too much of a pain.

6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I've been using bulk for the past two years and while it great, it does have a downside....... Finding a place to keep it that is close to your sites! I had very little breakdowns, but I am still only using one truck.

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

8. tjcezar

tjcezar Member

smahed salters, blown trannys, driveshafts falling out, one truck had a fire, broke a 3/4" steel blade like it was a pretzel stick, guys not showing up, 3 days w/ little to no sleep (multiple times), dealing with the general public. Whats not to love about snow plowing?