1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pickup bed hoist. Got one?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by dlowkes7, Feb 24, 2011.

1. dlowkes7

dlowkes7 Junior Member

Wondering if anyone has the hoists that goes under your stock pickup bed. post up some pics

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My uncle has one on his old Dodge Ram 150. I don't have any pictures of though.

3. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Go see Patrick at Hartford Truck, He has done Hundreds of them and will take care of you.

4. JJSLandscape

JJSLandscape Member

there is a company up in Mass, i think the boston area that installs venco pickup hoists. I had one on my 03' 2500hd and never really had any problems with it. Hartford truck built 2 of my trucks this year and I would have to say I will NEVER go there again. First they held my trucks hostage up there for 4 weeks, so my first months payment went down the drain, then the front bolts came out of my push plates because they were not loctite-d, and my trailer plugs were not even screwed in, so they pulled right out the first time I towed with the truck. Best thing is this Patrick never returned my phone calls.

5. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Sorry to hear that....He has always been good to me.

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Here is my complete build. Not a pickup but shows how the hoist is mounted.

http://www.tjsperformance.com/chevytruck.htm

7. haulerman

haulerman Junior Member

got one ! best think i ever bought , just remember its still a pick-up truck ! lol

8. dlowkes7

dlowkes7 Junior Member

how much that cost you. steel and wood. and what about the man hours?

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I personally just think that the pickup bed dumps are a bad idea. Its all just made of a bunch of thin sheet metal that was not meant for the purpose of being a dump bed. Material getting caught in the wheel wells would drive me nuts too....then again i don't know what you're planning on using this for.

10. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

agreed i think the stock bed would get its arse kicked

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I made that one in 2004 I think. Back then steel was not as high as it is today.
    The total cost with the dump hoist kit was about 3k. Don't know man hours. Back then I had more time than money. I am currently building a dump bed for my superduty. It will be 8 feet and all steel (no wood). I am going to graft my headache rack I made to it as well. I am not going to send it out for paint, I am going to do all of it myself. I will make a post as I progress a little more.
    T.J.

12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you remember you're driving a pickup and not a dump truck there is nothing wrong with a pick up dump kit - don't try hauling 2 yards of agg base...but then again, the way we all overload our trucks regularly here anyway :)jester:)

My cousin had one in his 77 Ford as a landscaper back in the early 80's - used the heck out of it and loved it. You have to remember the limitations of the vehicle. As to stuff getting stuck- not really that big a deal, but if you haul a lot of bulk weld a plate at an angle in front of the wheel wells to keep material out.

Most hoist kits will not allow the bumper to remain attached to the frame - ie useful, and must relocate them to the body - ie, for decoration only.
    I forget the name of the place, but there is a company that makes a scissor lift type for pickups, good for serious weight, that lifts the bed as it raises clearing the rear bumper. Not too expensive either compared to a stock lift. I was doing research on them about a month ago for my Dodge.

13. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

freind of mine put one on and he built a nice steel subframe had it for 5 yrs now never had a issue ill try to get some pics

14. 94chevy2500

94chevy2500 Senior Member

i agree deffenetly with the newer trucks the beds are so flimsy i worked at a shop we built truck beds out of stock alumunim and when taking off the beds on the newer truck we would just lift them off buy hand and they would just bend where u picked them up its was bad lol i think the older trucks wouldnt be as bad tho