1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picking your snow removal company

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Oct 11, 2009.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Picking a Reputable Snow Removal Contractor
    By Chris Furma

First step is one of the formost important steps to take. Simple question: "Are you insured"? When it comes to snow plowing, there's a "blanket" insurance that covers these types of contractors and if they are specifically in the business to do snow plowing, they had better have the insurance to cover themselves.

Ask how long they've been in the snow removal business. You surely don't want a "fly by nighter" contracted with you if they won't hold up to their end of the contract. When it snows, you want the job done right the first time. Experience is a necessity here.

If there aren't many options as far as snow removal contractors go in your area, and you haven't heard much about the person/business either, you'd might want to consider doing a sex offender check and/or a criminal records search. Sounds extensive, but when it comes to your valuable property and family, this might be worth checking into.

The saying "you can't judge a book by it's cover" doesn't really apply here. I'm sorry snow removal contractors, but if you're big in the business of snow removal, you'd better have the right equipment to do the job quickly and efficiently.

Their equipment should be kept up and in working order. They should also retain extra parts and tools with them in case of emergencies.

You should ask how much snow builds up before they come out and plow. Usually it's a 2" minimum but if you want more or less then that needs to be discussed. Discuss where the contractor can push or pile the snow or if the snow needs to be removed from your site.

Do you need sidewalks cleaned off? This is an extra cost service that may not be part of your contract. Salting your sidewalks should be included with this service.

Ask about the type of snow removal contracts that might be available to you. Sometimes it's worth getting a seasonal contract especially if there's alot of snow forecasted for the season. You can get a seasonal contract or a pay per plow service. I've seen contractors give a $75 credit back if they don't plow a total of 6 times that season. Before the up coming plow season, you can sometimes find really good seasonal contract deals, keep your eyes peeled!

-- You have the right to ask all of the questions and follow the steps above.

-- Getting a reputable snow removal contractor may be tricky, but the research will pay off in the long run.

-- Salt will damage certain plants, pit concrete and damage retaining walls. Be sure to ask for alternative

safer melting products when you have these types of materials.

Christopher H. Furman welcomes you to the Michigan Snow Removal Directory and the New York Snow Removal Directory where snow removal contractors can list for free.

2. BORIS

BORIS Senior Member

That is a good article. Mabe we should all attach that to our bids.

3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have something pretty close to it in my bid packs.

Thanks again SIMA

J.

4. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I like it.

5. APLC

APLC Senior Member

looks good to me, been picking up tons of fly by night people's fliers off the ground mowing some of my resi talking about roofing,plumbing, mowing, plowing all in one :gunsfiring: i just throw them away. Number one question DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE :drinkup: