1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picking up plow, Do I need ballast in?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by darood01, Oct 6, 2009.

1. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

I'm picking up my plow today and this may sound stupid do I need the ballast in the jeep on the drive home. I have a 97 jeep wrangler with a buyers snowdogg md75 plow on it.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Not a dumb Question. You will be fine driving home with the plow. There are guys that have not used ballast for 30 years on her. So a little drive home to drop off the new blade will be fine. Maybe once you get home you can add ballast to do a little experiment and see how well it helps with the blade on and so when snow seasons comes you know exactly how much to put in. Congrats on the new blade and have a good season.

3. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

Thanks for the info.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The Wrangler doesn'y have much room for ballast but I would put some in it if you can.
    The drive home will be fine w/o ballast

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

look in to a little extra suspension help. Search the site for posts by plowmeister. He's the resident Jeep Guru. He can advise you on the best applications.

6. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

I've seen some guys with plows on jeeps that build a weight carrier for their receiver hitch and put tractor weights back there. Just need to make sure you don't over load the hitch... And be careful backing up!

Good Luck