1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picking up new-to-me plow truck tomorrow -- questions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MaineSnowPlow, Dec 16, 2011.

1. MaineSnowPlow

MaineSnowPlow Junior Member

After trying to figure out the best setup for my Nissan Frontier, I've decided to trade that truck in for a 2004 Ram 2500 with a Hemi and an 8' Fisher straight blade. It's probably overkill, but I've always wanted a plow truck (I'm new to plowing) and the deal was right. Problem is, the dealer is about 100 miles from my house -- any advice on driving that distance with the plow attached? How should it be positioned? Anything to look out for or keep an eye on, other than disappearing needle on the gas gauge?

Thanks for any guidance/advice you can provide.

2. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

Drive slow and watch your temp gauge or take blade off and put it in the bed.

3. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I am going to second this advice. 100 miles is WAY to far to drive with an 8ft, 900pd blade on the front. When you get there, hook it up, make sure it works, take it off and have them put it on the bed for you. When you get home, back up to an embankment somewhere and slide it off. You will thank yourself for doing it this way!

4. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Agreed. Driving any distance with the plow on only causes unnecessary strain on your front end, not to mention the possibility of overheating if it's too warm out.

5. MaineSnowPlow

Thanks for the replies -- much appreciated. I've requested the plow be hooked up for a quick test, then loaded into the bed for the drive home.

Now I just need to learn how to plow! That'll hopefully come quick with all of the info on this site, and watching plenty of YouTube videos on what to do and NOT to do.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Keep blade somewhat low and angled. Turn heat on and keep it below 60. It will be fine. Don't forget to use the safety/travel chain.

7. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Don't forget to post up some pics when you get it.

8. MaineSnowPlow

Tried to post one I got from the dealer. I'll have to work on figuring that out.

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Try again...

10. MaineSnowPlow

Trying this again. This is a pic from the dealer.

46265947.jpg

11. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Wow, nice truck! I'd agree with the other guys. Tie it down good if they get it in the back, it'll hang out a ways. Otherwise, just keep the plow low so that air can get in and just keep an eye on the temp gauge. 100 miles really isn't that bad. 2 hours if you keep it around 50. Heck, make a day of it and just take your time!

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Looks nice. Good luck with it.

13. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I agree, 100 miles is nothing with a plow attached. I regularly drive mine from the Cape to near Worc in the winter when its raining on cape and snowing inland. You just keep blade low and watch your gauges and keep speeds below 65. As far as learning how to plow you will catch on. Dont try and push the berm from street plows all the way down driveway. Swipe it sideways on to lawn first, then go down drive. Have a plan of where you are gonna push snow to. Also someone said keep angled but when it gets heavy and deep it can turn your truck sideways. As you come to your stacking point straighten blade and start to lift up on plow about a foot from the end of drive to avoid tearing up lawn at end of drive. It takes a little time to get the feeling but soon it will come naturally. Have fun!!!

14. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I just looked at your pic of truck. Not sure if the cutting edge is painted yellow or not there but I would put one on. Looks the like plow has some use and should be worn down enough to add one on.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That plow is in very good condition. The base angle is barely worn. If you are just doing a few driveways, you won't need a cutting edge for at least a couple years.

If you are moving the truck on a cool day like this weekend, I would just drive it with the plow on front. Keep the blade as low as possible, and speeds under 60.

If they put it in the bed, you'll need someone with a tractor or boom wrecker to get it out. Whoever suggested backing up to a banking and sliding the plow out has never tried to do that with the headgear attached. Plus you want the plow on a nice flat area for attaching it to the truck.

16. Pushin4U

Pushin4U Senior Member

cutting edge is yellow

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's the base angle, not a cutting edge.

18. Pushin4U

Pushin4U Senior Member

No, I know what the cutting edge is. In the corners it looks like steel then turns to yellow. I think its been painted

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm seeing bolt holes, not bolt heads. But maybe my old eyes are failing me. Doesn't really matter, there is plenty of life left in it before he needs a cutting edge.

20. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Zoomed way in, it looks like a worn out cutting edge to me.