1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picking Up My New 26 Today

Discussion in 'Sno-Way Discussion' started by cooncat, Dec 14, 2007.

1. cooncat

cooncat Junior Member

I am going to install it myself over the weekend. It's going on an 04 Tahoe. The dealer
    said. "If you can read. You should have no problems". It has down pressure and the
    wireless remote. Any tips or advice on installation? I tried Googling the instructions.
    There are some pdf files from Sno-Way on installations. But not for the 26 or my
    application. I was told it is about a 6 hour job. I can't imagine it taking that long.
    Wha da ya think?

Thanks

2. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

4. cooncat

cooncat Junior Member

Thanks for the fast replies. It does not look too bad. Do I really have to remove the bumper? I know I will have to notch the plastic trim that hangs down.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The bumper is a breeze to remove and life's a lot easier with-out it in the way

6. cooncat

cooncat Junior Member

Took me all friggen day to get the mount on the truck. It went pretty well. Except the
    rear cross mount that attaches to the frame crossmember. I enlarged the two 1/2 in
    holes in the bottom of the vehicle crossmember. The rear support bolted right up to that.
    However. The bolt holes in the front of the plow rear crossmember were too high. They
    would have gone through some space then into the vehicle crossmember at an angle.
    I had to make my own holes located a little down and in. The rest bolted right up to
    the tow hook mounts. I ended up with a height of 10 inches to the center of the spot
    where you are supposed to measure. I trimmed the lower valance with a pneumatic
    rotory cut off tool. That worked sweet. Burned my finger though with some hot plastic.:)
    The vehicle part is done. Now off to the garage to put the rest together.

7. Ken109

Ken109 Junior Member
    from Pa

Plow for 2005 avalanche 1/2 ton

I am looking at the sno-way plows, and was wondering if anyone can tell me which one will work best. I plow a 1/2 mile of dirt road with my truck. Is steel better or not and which one will work best on my truck. Always used meyers befor but would like to get a better plow for this truck. Ken

8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Our 26 series would be the application for your Avalanche. Blades would be available in either steel or poly. We are sold out of the stainless steel application for this season. You can learn more at http://www.snoway.com .

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Happy Holidays,

9. cooncat

cooncat Junior Member

I finished the install last weekend. Everything but the lights. I have to figure out how to
    get to the back of the headlights to plug the harness in. The harness looks like it has
    plugs for most of the lights. There are some bare wires though. Anybody know if the
    bare wires are used? There are plugs that are obviously for the headlights and some
    smaller plugs that must be for the turn signals.
    As far as the blade. I had some trouble getting the pins into the blade and frame.
    The holes would not line up with the green bump stops in. After a half hour of swearing
    I took the bump stops out, put the pins in. Then tapped the bump stops back in.
    I had a little trouble getting the wireless system to work also. I used a screwdriver
    to jump the terminals on the receiver to erase any factory codes. I did this untill the
    light on the receiver flashed. The remote still did not work after going through the "learn"
    procedure. I found out I was not holding the screwdriver on the terminals long enough.
    initially it flashed fast. Then after quite awhile it flashed slow. Instuctions could have
    been a little clearer on that one. Other than that its on and works!!
    Any tips on installing the wiring harness? Do I have to take the front of the truck apart
    to get at the headlights? How about setting the height on the feet? I'm going to be on
    pavement most of the time. Also there is a 3/4 inch long (about 6") bolt that goes through
    a pivot point on top of the mount. It is a horizontal bolt. Not the verticle pivot bolt that attached the blade. The instructions make no mention of this bolt. I just used some
    German torque on it. :)

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

All you have to do to get the lights out is pull the pins. those light fall out in your hands the install would have been easier if you removed the grill lights and bumper and done it all at once. take 2 minutes and saves invaluable time

11. cooncat

cooncat Junior Member

I removed the bumper and grill when I did the plow mount. I just found the pins. (duh!!)
    I've only had the truck about a week. I was not familiar with the pin set up. Do all
    the wires in the harness plug in? Do I have to splice some into the turn signals or
    running lights?

Thanks

12. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Here is a link to the light adapter installation manual. Hope that this helps.

http://www.snoway.com/service/LightKits/97101130c.pdf

13. cooncat

cooncat Junior Member

Got the wiring for the lights done last night. It really was easy. Thanks for all the advice
    given in this thread. It was very helpfull. Now. We just need some more snow. :bluebounc