1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picking up Customers during a Storm?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Dogbonz, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

How many of you get flagged down while your out plowing to Do a non customer? Do any of you knock on doors after a heavy storm to ***** up some more work? We are expecting 4 to 7 here in Mid Mich. So far my route is small and I want somemore!!!! Some one once said "Patience Grass-Hopper,, Patience!

2. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

When I first started out, I would drive thru the biggest sub divisions I could find, and drive really slow with my lights on, and people would just come running out like I was the ice cream man.

3. Journier

Journier Junior Member

man oh man, seems like everywhere but where I am everyone just runs out of there houses to give you work.

no luck here, just started lightening up 6 inches in Frankfort, Illinois and was running house to house seeing if anyone wanted there drive done, none of them had been plowed yet, not a single person wanted me to plow.

rough.

4. Kosty

Kosty Member

ad in the paper driving around is not worth it never works in my opinion if it dose its when u get a couple feet of snow and its a state of emergancy

5. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

Well today I got up at 445 and went to do my Co-Op's 2 private rds, I caught 2 diff peeps out shoveling,, ask them if they wanted me to finish for them,,$20 ea. and both said YES,, of coarse we had just got 8 in. of new snow. I'm in a small village. Went into town got 1 more drive by and ask job from my nieces neighbor said she didn't have cash now, but would sure like it if i did,,,60 ft single lane Dr. 20 bucks,, the niece brought me the cash tonight!payup I love the small town folks So nice :waving:

6. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Dog Gone!

:waving: It's tough when your new to a neighborhood. I thought about putting an add in our local town paper. I didn't want to much of my own because I'm sub contracting. I do have some small accounts of my own but, they are mainly relatives and friends. I think for me it will expand for me then.

Good luck,

PaleRider :gunsfiring:

7. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Yesterday we had a real minor snow, didn't really hit the triggers but close enough so out I went. I always carry a couple of contracts with me "just in case". Well I picked up 4 people, after a season plus without a flag down. Some days it's just in the cards I guess.

8. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i would have to say that i do not plow anyone that is not on my list, why? well, if you think about it, why isnt the guy they hired plowing? did they not pay him/her? ive had people this past storm call me,saying that they just forgot to hire someone to plow, how do you forget its winter? and if they forgot that, will they forget to send payment to my office? i told them if they would like me to stop by, so they could sign a service agreement i would, otherwise , i dont have the time to take away from my reg clients that have me do it all the time,

9. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Extra work

I'll pick up one-time plows if they're willing to pay cash on the spot. If I can afford the drive time....I'll come back and do it at the end of my route. All of my contracts pay me a seasonal price....they have to come first, unless its good money, and I can't afford to drive back when my regulars are done.

Last storm I told a lady that I would only do it if she wanted the whole season. Her driveway is connected to the one next door that I already plow. It's actually easier to plow both tha have to clean up the snow that gets thrown onto her half of the drive. So, I save time, and make some more $.

Sometimes I'll drive around after a storm and knock on a couple doors. I find that if you do it mid-afternoon, you'll find a lot of home-makers who will pay for it before their husbands get home from work...it's a nice surprise for hubby. If you ask the husbands, you'll get more no's. I'll only do straight drives with no back-blading. Sometimes you'll get a customer for next season that way too.

Make sure you shovel a couple scoops of snow first to find the edge of the driveway....or get your money first...I had a guy flag me down and couldn't see his driveway. He told me that it was perfectly straight from his garage to the road....turns out there's a sharp curve and I took out about a 5'x5' area of grass....always collect your cash first.