1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picking out the right truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by AMS snow, Feb 8, 2011.

1. AMS snow

AMS snow Junior Member
    from WI

I started my snow removal business this past Nov. I do residential driveways with a 24" 2 stage. All of my acounts,19 total, are split 12 are within 1/2 mile of each other the rest are in a small town close to home. I'm looking ahead to this spring when phase two, lawn care, will kick off. Right now I use my father in-laws '00 Toyota tundra to get the 2 stage around. I need my own truck this much I know the question is what kind. I plowed for my old boss in '08 and '09 we had a '09 reg. cab F-350 w/ 7'6" western and a F-450 w/ 9' boss v-plow. I'm looking to stay within a $10 to $15k price range. The truck will have to pull a trailer in the summer and plow in the winter. I don't want to spend that kind of money on a truck with high miles just to have it break down and cost even more. As a new small business I want to spend my money wisely. Any suggestions.:help:

2. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

If you plan on expanding you snow business I would go with at least a 250 or 2500. Im partial to ford but like all the other posts ford vs chevy or dodge go with what you like driving and what is in the best condition and fits your criteria.

3. AMS snow

AMS snow Junior Member
    from WI

what should I look for or watch out for in the condition of the truck.

4. qualitycut

Best thing to do is bring a mechanic with and have him look out over.

5. loudcav

loudcav Member
    from ohio

honestly unless you can keep the truck inside Id probably stay away from a diesel if you get unlucky enough for the tank to gel you will end up way behind and probably loose out and besides the diesel truck will cost you more than budgeted

6. qualitycut

Try and get an extended warranty with it also.