1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picking between XtremeV or XV2

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by duraplow, Jan 3, 2014.

1. duraplow

duraplow Member

After having some bad issues and warranty problems, I've decided to go with a Fisher stainless V on my personal truck and the old man's. I really like the XV2 but not sure how it will work and how much lift I'll get on my 06 Dmax. My dad has a '12 2500 Cummins and is gonna get a twin of mine. Looking to go with 8'5". Guys with XV2 how are you liking the new design and did you notice a difference? Thanks in advance :waving:

2. duraplow

duraplow Member

Also worried if the extra 100lbs of the X V2 will be too heavy for our trucks

3. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I have had both and I like my xv2, it is not a huge difference.... but there are a few things that I like about it

It has a bigger center pin, more connections to the center hinge, bigger lift ram and the T frame is stronger. This will help the plow last longer and also probably will never have to be welded which you see on some extreme V's that are abused.

The flared wings allow you to carry more snow especially in the scoop position

faster hydraulics than the extreme V

I really like my plow and wouldn't go back to a extreme v at this point

4. I have an EZV and an XV2. There is a noticeable difference. The XV2 is a quantum leap from an EZV. The 3/8 cutting edge is not the problem that I thought it would be. It does a tremendous job of ripping compacted snow off of roadways. Used it for 8 hours of scraping today....

5. duraplow

duraplow Member

I just looked at my buddy's new xv2 today and it's a sharp looking blade. I really like the flared wings. Minute mount 2 is a lot smoother than the mm1 plows my dad had before I took over. I got my two Boss blades for my truck sold so I'm hoping this week to get in and get a fisher mounted

6. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I don't like the flared wings and don't need them as i plow with the storm, not at the end. Wish they would put the center pin in the regular extreme v.

7. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

:) Exactly!

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't see where the trade off with the extra weight is. Those flares don't make you anymore efficient so why add the extra 200 pounds or so? Personally I'd I was going to add weight to my vee plow I would add a set of wings and get something done.

9. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I dont mean to insult you but it is only 57 pounds extra weight between a extreme V and V2, and the flares will carry more snow

10. duraplow

duraplow Member

I was torn between the new boss dxt stainless and xv2 but after seeing them in person, the fisher is much nicer plow and it's only 30 lbs heavier than the boss stainless. The dealers I called around me only have the Xv2 and don't carry the xtreme v anymore. But they said it was like a $200 difference anyways.

My truck had a 3" level lift and 33" tires and beefed up front end. I'm hoping my front end won't slam to the ground when I raise the plow up

11. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

You'll be fine.

12. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Seems as though you are correct, sir. My apologies. I could have sworn the xv2 was over 100 pounds heavier but I guess not:salute:

13. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I just bought an xv2 8.5' for an "00 chevy 2500 I was a little concerned about it sagging the front end, but it is fine. We did turn the t-bars up anyway. After assembling the plow, I was also concerned that it would look cartoonishly large on the truck, but it looks good. I agree that the flared wings are a little much, but after talking to two dealers, it is my understanding that the xv2 is a replacement to fix some issues on the original xv. That is why I chose it.

14. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

+1

For my usage, it doesn't do anything for me except make it a bit harder to keep cool in warmer weather. For the weight, I'd rather have a 1/2" edge stock on the 8.5'.

I like the XV2 more due to the center pin design (and have no issues clearing the pump cover in full Vee with the shorter set of stops that are included (when mounted in center t-frame hole)).

I also don't think a new XV2 is faster than a new XV - the pump part #'s are exactly the same if you check the parts list. If anything it is marginally slower when unloaded since the lift piston diameter is bigger but the extra umph probably makes it a bit faster when fully loaded...

And with the truck you are fine. I run an 8.5 SS XV2 on an '02 with the 8.1L/DA combo and cranked the t-bars a bit and put in Sumo Springs (cheaper version of Timbren) and with proper ballast behind the wheels it runs no problem at all. And my snow tires are only stock size 245/75...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  15. iowadmaxss

iowadmaxss Junior Member

i run a 9.5ft fisher stainless v and an 8.5ft on an 2007 2500 and with 305's on my truck and t-bars cranked my tires rub a tad on my mud flaps. you'll be fine

16. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I also agree the extra flared wings are ridiculous, maybe if your busting open a 3 foot drift, but most of us plow with storm.

My dealer has sold only one XV2 this year, and a dozen XVs

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

They do throw the snow farther, its nice when windrowing, I really like on long curb lines. throws snow pretty damn good over them!

18. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Fisher needs to put the big pin in the regular plow. They already realized they have a problem with them from the new design.

19. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Definitely agree, I would like the extreme V but the hinge is bad design. Mine broke two years ago, not cheap to fix. For this reason I bought the xv2 for my new truck. If they design the Xv like xv2 hinge then I would buy the xv, until then I'm staying away and change center pin every year on my xv.

20. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I should say it does seem to throw snow a little better, but I'd be happy if they could do the same with a shorter top of blade... maybe that isn't possible :dizzy:

I asked my dealer if they were going to make the XV with the new XV2 design center pin and he said the XV will be discontinued eventually... Not sure if that's true or when so YMMV.