1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picking Best Liquid for Anti-Ice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by hiranger, Oct 24, 2008.

1. hiranger

hiranger Member

I have talked to suppliers all over trying to figure out what product would be best for anti-ice. Some products claim they are the best but don't really seem that economical for me or the customer. I am here in central illinois so SNI Solutions isn't that far, but unsure if their product is the most feasible at $3.00 a gallon.

Hey Elite, if your out there give me a shout. Wondering how your liquid setup is coming alone.
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

too much buisness stuff going on at the moment, this weekend ill be working on it
  3. hiranger

hiranger Member

I understand that. Just checking. Keep me posted and let me know what you get figured out. Thanks.
  4. af7850

af7850 Junior Member
    from Detroit

I spoke to two suppliers in my area this past week, one product was 4x the cost of the other. The expensive supplier told me all about how their product is far superior, and that you "get what you pay for". I obtained MSDS sheets from each, and guess what?

The products are virtually identical in composition.

My advice is to ignore the hype, and try to compare real apples to apples.
  5. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I bet there are alot of products that are that way. Its kind of like saying my salt is better than your salt! LOL!
  6. hiranger

hiranger Member

I was really wondering what most guys in the Midwest were using. I talked to a guy out east today and he said calcium chloride and salt brine were the most popular out there.
  7. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Every one I know that uses liquid uses Brine or calcium. I use calcium. Im happy with what I use. My buddies have a $30,000 dollar brine plant and they have to mess with it all the time but I think they said it cost them $0.03 a gallons to make so it handy for there huge opperation. I like the calcium because there is not much to mess with and it is pretty stable. Load and Go!
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  8. jfjcontracting

jfjcontracting Member

Liquid calcuim chloride or brine Hands down is the most cost effective and way to use liquid de-icing in my opinion. You can buy stuff for 3.00 a gallon but you mise well use over priced salt instead of going through the hassel.
  9. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

i have a good supplier (load and go is right) salt brine @ .56 gallon or calicum brine at .90 a gallon can be delievered also
  10. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

brine =  /braɪn/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [brahyn] Show IPA Pronunciation
    noun, verb, brined, brin⋅ing.
    1. water saturated or strongly impregnated with salt.
    2. a salt and water solution for pickling.
    3. the sea or ocean.
    4. the water of the sea.

so you are simply useing a Calcium Chloride liquid :nod:

but any way.....i use calcium chloride LIQUID ;)

11. SuperBlade

SuperBlade Member

brine (brīn) Pronunciation Key

Water saturated with or containing large amounts of a salt, especially sodium chloride. The high salt content is usually due to evaporation or freezing.
    The water of a sea or ocean.

no. simply using a sodium chloride salt brine
  12. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

you do know that there is a difference in Calcium and Sodium right?

to say brine....simply means Sodium chloride solution. ie. salt

so in that essence there is no such thing as calcium brine, unless youre blending sodium and calcium :confused: lol

13. hoosier57

hoosier57 Junior Member

Application rates also vary per product.
    Salt brine rates are usually double that of Calcium or Magnesium based product.
    Ground temp is major factor in rate of application for each product
    Anti-icing (before snow or ice event) is lowest and usually most ecomical use.
    De-icing (after snow or ice event) rates depend on how much ice is on surface to remove.....dilution from melting ice factors into this.
    Hope this helps
  14. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

What was the cost of Geomelt S ?
    Thats 80% brine and 20% Geomelt. I have spoken with Mike at SNI and he said that was a very good product. Geomelt is straight up beet juice, that is priced around $3 a gallon.
  15. hiranger

hiranger Member

I saw Geomelt S and thought it sounded like a good product. I initially talked to Mike about a month ago and he seemed very knowledgeable, but have called 3 times since and he has never returned my call. Let me know what you find out.