1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picking a Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MikeRi24, Oct 8, 2008.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I have a 2003 Jeep Wrangler that I am going to put a plow on. I looked at a Western Commercial plow and it was like $3600 installed. They have the homeowner "Suburbanite" Series that is significantly cheaper. The guy tried real hard to steer me away from the lighter plow, but I only do my driveway and 3 other VERY small driveways. I would really like to get the lower cost one, but is that a bad idea? like I said, I only do my driveway (~30 feet long, 1 car wide) and 3 others about the same size or smaller.
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i could go eitherway on this,,,,, you start with jsut you , plus a friends...and it turns into 10 more quickly... if you think thats the case id go bigger.... those smaller ones really look cheap to me....

id look into a snowway plow...
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

A comecial plow on a STOCK jeep wrangler is a bit much (weight). For the amount of plowing your going to do I'd go with the cheaper plow. If you end up doing a lot of driveways then you will have the money to upgrade the Jeep and plow.
  4. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking. I go to school full time and work another part time job, so trust me, it will not get more work than I am doing now. I thought of looking into getting a used truck with a plow already on it, but for what I was willing to spend, I could only find and old, rotted out truck with a busted plow that needed a lot of work. I know my Jeep is well maintained because I have owned it since it was new and I am very meticulous about taking care of it, so with a couple minor upgrades, I thought it be better to stick with that and invest my money in a plow
  5. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

6. Indy

Indy Senior Member

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I second the Sno-Way on your Jeep.
    Plowing is alot harder on a vehicle then you think it will be.
  8. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Ended up buying a SnowDogg MD series. the Sno-Way was $4600!!!!!! way too much money for me to spend! I priced a Western, Meyer, Blizzard and Fisher as well. The SnowDogg came in at $2700 installed, the next cheapest was the Western at $3100. I checked the SnowDogg out real good and was quite impressed. it seems like a quality piece. Only weighs 380 lbs too. Only thing I am not too crazy about is the hand held controller. I would prefer a joy stick type controller, but I can live with it. I might try to rig one up or something.

BRENTMAN Senior Member

you shoula at least went with the western probably, but i dont know much, cause i'm a newb too....
  10. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Never used a Snow Dogg but they look like well built plows. let us know how it works for you.
  11. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

you got any pics
  12. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

go with the snoway plow, much better on the jeep as far as another other plow is concerned.
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Or 100 lbs more the the competitors, I suggest your next purchase be front end support and some ballast.
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  14. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

Have learned quite a bit from Jeep plowers...I too.. will purchase the snow way
    thanks all

BRENTMAN Senior Member

yup same here i want to get a sno-way model 22...probably the 6'8" for my '05 wrangler
  16. theplowmeister

from MA

Go with the 7 1/2 22 series plow. you will find the 6 1/2 si not wide enough when angled.

BRENTMAN Senior Member

is it not too big for my jeep?
  18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:nono: it's just like Mama bear's bed just right:nod::cool:
  19. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Enzo i believe this member made his purchase already, but your words are always appealing!:waving:
  20. theplowmeister

from MA

NO... I used a 7 1/2 Fisher RD for 20 years (some mods nessasery). Snoway lists the 7 1/2 22 sereis plow for the jeep.