1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picked up some new blowers today - Hope they are good

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by drivewaydoctor, Nov 11, 2014.

1. I read some great reviews about these Toro 721 R-C blowers today. We will mainly be using them on walkways and sidewalks and maybe the odd residential driveway that has parked cars.

Has any of you ever had these? What did you think of them?

The sales rep said they rip thru heavy wet snow and slush no problem.

2. ProperLandscape

ProperLandscape Member

They throw snow great, as does the 621. They even handle the plow slush at the bottom of the driveway. The only downside is after the paddles are worn by more than 50% the performance is so so. I changed mine twice last year. If you let the paddles wear within 1/4 of the replacement mark, the machine is useless.
  3. Yeah I figured that much. I spoke to Toro and they told me these commercial machines have a much longer lifespan of the paddles. I may order 3 replacement paddles to be on the safe side and have them on hand.
  4. ProperLandscape

ProperLandscape Member

Good plan!! They only take 15 minutes to swap out. I wish they would have had the 721 model out before i bought (4) 621 models. I started using mobil 1 synthetic in my 721 after the first oil change. Starts on first pull every time, even when its -15.
  5. locallawncare.c

locallawncare.c Member

Yeah those machines are great, I have a 621 qzr, the commercial ones have a slightly bigger engine, longer wear paddles and belts, the new 721 models all have the same engine as the commercial ones minus the paddles and such.

KAGE makes awesome replacement paddles for these machines, they don't cost much more and last way longer, they are also a bit stiffer and bust up the snow/ice very well, also throwing distance is kept for a longer period of time as the paddles takes much longer to wear down, so you also get increased performance for the life of the paddle, check them out, reminds me I gotta order some more for this season. Here is a link to a thread I started last year about the paddles.

6. ProperLandscape

ProperLandscape Member

Thanks for The paddle info!!
  7. Ditto! Thanks for the paddle info. I just contacted them to order 3 sets!
  8. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Are these better in any way than the Honda 720 Commercial units?
  9. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

do they make these for the ariens path pros? i have a bunch of them.
  10. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Check the Kage website. It looks like only for Toro.
  11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

10 lbs lighter and bigger engine. ( 212cc Toro vs 190cc Honda )

I'd rather have the Honda engine and the chute controller on the handle though. Toro F'ed up by not offering that on the Commercial blowers.
  12. Toro did that on purpose. I spoke with a dozen people with the 721 residential version with shoot controller and they all said it freezes up. Toro made the commercial version without it because it's in the snow so much.
  13. WIPensFan

I know they did. Also because employees will destroy things like that. I Fluid Filmed the entire mechanism and haven't had one freeze up.
  14. locallawncare.c

locallawncare.c Member

I could feel mine wanted to freeze up after long trips, I only do residential to the quik chute is a huge advantage for me to have, also the handle doesn't stick out the side when pointed 90 degrees so you can get closer to obstacles. I also used fluid film and never had a freeze up but then again all of my houses are close, I bet 20 minutes on the highway would freeze that sucker up. The new 721 models all have the same engine as last years commercial models.
  15. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

And Honda here for that model is almost $400 more...

The weights of the Honda model I mentioned and the Toro are the same. CC's don't always mean a difference in power, but I get ya there.

Just wondering if I am missing something that makes the Honda almost $400 more. Honda does have other models that are closer to the Toro.

Can a guy go wrong with the Toro though? They seem well rated.
  16. WIPensFan

I love Toro blowers. What Honda model are you talking about? Toro is like 84 lbs? And Honda is 94 lbs? Can't remember exactly but I looked it up before.
  17. horizon jay

horizon jay Member

New paddles or not, Heavy wet snow will clog them just like any other single stage blower. Other than that they are a great machine! Kage Paddles are def where its at tho!
  18. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Just picked up one of these today. Have two of the older ones as well as a 18" one (pretty light duty). Never had a single snow last year that they wouldn't move. I love them!
  19. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

720CC Honda's site says 83lbs, maybe its the non elec start vs. electric start model, dunno.
  20. WIPensFan

This one is just recoil start. 95 lbs.
    This one is electric start + Recoil. 95 lbs.
    This one is no quick chute. 81 lbs.

Edit: I see on the Honda website the weights are slightly different. So I don't know what's right.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014