1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picked up my new GMC 3500 service truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by merrimacmill, Aug 17, 2010.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I just picked up this brand new GMC 3500 SRW with a reading service body. I bought it as a take home truck for my mechanic. We needed another truck for plowing this year, the 1997 pick up he was driving just wasn't cutting it anymore, and he is most definitely our best employee we have ever had, so it seemed like a good move.

It has a Boss 8' 2" Vxt plow, and line-ex in the bed. Now all thats left is putting on the cab marker lights, and wiring all the aux warning lights into it. Really starting to build a fleet now! I'll be taking a fleet picture this fall when all the plows come out.

0817101852.jpg

0817101853.jpg

0817101853a.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. Red Bull Junkie

Red Bull Junkie Senior Member

Nice set up. Nothing better than a happy mobile mechanic when the S**T hits the fan during a storm.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Very nice truck and setup.

4. Alpha Property

Alpha Property Senior Member

is it 4x4?

5. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Very nice addition

6. merrimacmill

from MA

Yup it is. Its a work truck trim.

7. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

NICE! Looks like you really are building a fleet!

8. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Like You Really Needed That Collin...... No Its looks sweet! Didn't want to go with the D max though huh, no worries I can drive out there anytime you would like and pull out your Kubotas with my Cats and Pull Your GMC/Chevy's out with my Fords when you get stuck on flat ground!!!!!!

9. merrimacmill

from MA

Don't worry, I can have my mechanic drive out to you in our GMC and fix your Fords and Cats when they break down :mechanic:

Your right though, the service body will be useful, but not completely necessary right now. But it was cheaper to buy the truck with the service body than it would have been to buy a pick-up truck.. I know it doesn't sound right, but since it was a left over 2010 it just worked out that way. I think as time goes on though, we will really like having the service body.

Also, I did test drive a new 2011 duramax and that will be the next truck for sure. It was a VERY impressive truck in all aspects. I'm thinking of selling my 08 sierra 1500 for a 2011 sierra 2500 ext cab, short bed, with a d max.

10. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

take home trucks suck wait till you see the miles start to rack up but if he is a real good asset to your company then I guess it is a needed expense

11. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Nice truck, can't wait to see the updates on it.

12. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

nice truck....question, since you seem to buy all your trucks new why aren't go staying with a specific color?

13. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

nice looking truck. you will appriciate having a service truck equiped for the job especially as your fleet continues to grow. cant beet a well outfitted service truck and a good mechanic.

14. merrimacmill

from MA

Ya, I would like to know that too haha. I bought that black 3500 diesel before I even started my company. Then I decided that I was going to have red trucks with all green logos for my company. So I bought 3 more red trucks with green logos. I know red trucks are popular, but there never was to many around here and now all the new companies around here have red trucks with green logos and even some that were here before me have changed to red trucks with green logos. Its gotten to the point where we all have the SAME red shirts just the letters form different words for each company. It drives me crazy. It got to the point where I would have people tell me multiple times a day that they thought they saw one of my trucks when really it was someone else because these guys all even have new GMC trucks to top it off.

So now I said the hell with it all, I'm going to get all white trucks and go back to the classic way and be done with it. I had a new logo designed for the white trucks you can see is my avatar, and I'm looking into painting my dump truck cab next. I really have no idea what painting something like that would cost though.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  15. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

Seems like your always buying new trucks and equipment which is awesome. Over the next few years i hope to expand like you are in the snow industry.

16. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

Just a quick question.......................... Who is your connection at Weirs?
    They cant possibly be the cheapest in New England. I know the Madore family. They are nice people there though.

17. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

wow that sucks hahaha......what if you went with a custom color that only you would have??

18. merrimacmill

from MA

Marc Hopkins is his name. They may not be the cheapest, but I did get a good deal on 2007 3500 dump there and after that just kind of built a loyalty to the dealership and go there for all my trucks now.

19. merrimacmill

from MA

I thought about that, but then I figured I would have to paint any trucks I buy no matter what. And also whatever custom color it would be, I wouldn't want to have my personal truck some weird color, so I would always have one not matching.

20. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

I knew alot of people that always bought at Weirs but in the last five years more and more people have been buying their GMCs at O'Connors in Augusta.

You have a nice Fleet growing now and all your equipment is very nice and Professional!

That is one good thing about this site, seeing youngsters like ourselves working for ourselves and still growing! :drinkup: