1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picked up my GMC 3500 dump the other day

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by merrimacmill, May 16, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Picked this up friday. Its my first dump truck, and doing landscaping, I love it. I just built those sides las weekend. Its a 2007 left over stock, with a 8 foot 1 inch monroe body, 6.0 gas engine, w/t series, so no cd player, no power windows, no power doors, but its a dump truck...

YES a plow is going to go on it sometime this summer. I was thinking about the Boss VXT 9' 2". Opinions? For a spreader I was thinking of going with a truck craft electric spreader. Reason for this is that my tractor could load salt into the dump body, but theres no way its going to be able to load into a V box.

IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

2. merrimacmill

from MA

Heres a side profile.

IMG_1295 (1).jpg

3. chev_4x4

chev_4x4 Senior Member

Looks real sharp. Should work very well for you.

4. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Good looking truck. Boss' application guide says that a 9' 2" V XT will work but, I am sure you are aware that the front end of the GM's sit lower than a Ford or Dodge (especially since you have one with a Boss plow on it already) so hook up may be a little tougher (with any plow). Our experience has been that the GM trucks don't handle the bigger plows that well (overheating is common especially when transporting down the highway). The V XT makes the overheating even worse because the flare on the wings restrict the air flow to the air dam worse than the regular V or straight blade. What do you run on your other truck? Looks like a 2500?

5. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

You will have no problem with the 9.2 VXT. A friend of mine has one on his gas 2500. Good choice on the plow, you trucks look nice. Keep us updated with pictures.

6. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Nice truck. Only thing I don't like is the look of the wood. doesn't seem fitting with the rest. But love red trucks :eek:)

7. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

label me jealous. im in the process of looking for a good deal on a GM dump. i had a deal fall through 2 weeks ago and now im starting from scratch again. Theres a dealer by me with a left over 07 no miles on it, sticker price $32K and gave me a price of $24k. the only thing thats holding me up on it is that it has a 12 foot body! :eek: thats way too big for what i need

Great lookin truck man. im happy for you.

8. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Nice Truck

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

You should get the dump bed rhino lined if you are going to put a truckraft spreader on there. I hate to see that salt eat its way through your new dump bed. Other then that she looks great. y

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

damn thats a sweet truck.

11. merrimacmill

from MA

Kevin, You've got a good point. Even though I'm die hard GM and will never own anything else, I will admit that can be a problem. But, I have a feeling that the overheating problem will be slightly better on the new style since the new grills are huge in comparison to the older ones.

I'm definitally going Boss, because my other truck has a boss trip edge, and the Boss plows are interchangable. Not to mention, I've owned yellow plows before, and I just really like the Boss and its features a lot more. NOT to start a brand war here lol.

Anyways, the other truck is a 3500 single rear wheel. I think she's been feeling a little left out the last couple days though. But I sent her off to get new brakes, greased, oil change, tranny fluid change, and to get detailed. I think that should make her feel better. lol

We've been working all week renovating an entire yards landscape, working with a hardscape contractor I know. And I can't even tell you how nice having the dump body is. What a time saver!

Thanks for all the compliments guys, I'll take some pictures of her doing work next week.

12. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Looks good, can't wait to see pics with a plow and a salter

13. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

thats sharp dude and the stained boards are just classy :D

14. merrimacmill

from MA

I would have to agree about the stained boards. Personally, I really think it sets the truck off, and away from the rest of the pack with the diamond plate sides, or just reg wood sides. But thats just me.

15. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Thats a beautiful truck you got there. We're picking up our 08 diesel in 2 weeks with a 10' contractor body on the same front end and I can't wait!

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Truck looks great. The GM front end will handle that 9'2 no problem, but what do I know?:drinkup:

17. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

good point dave:D:drinkup:

AWESOME TRUCK MERRRI LOOKS GREAT BEST OF LUCK WITH IT:drinkup:

18. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Sweet truck good luck with it!!

19. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

I am just gonna jump in. With an 8ft bed and spreader as soon as you lose your load. That huge boss monster is gonna make driving tricky i would think?

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No different than the same plow on a pickup with an empty V box. Not a major issue, just have to take the ballast loss into account and not drive it like you stole it. :D