1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picked Up An RT1 - Have A Question About The Lift Cylinder

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by The_Burning_Rom, Apr 23, 2014.

1. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

I picked up an RT1 this weekend along with the truck it was attached to it. Truck is in okay shape. Box is shot from 20+ years of lugging a salter around, but the rest of the truck is serviceable...frame doesn't have any weak spots. Might end up keeping it. Plow has had some welding on the spring brackets/addition of a 3rd shoe/a few other places, but is in good shape overall with quite a few new parts (angle cylinder, pump, solenoids, chain)

Anyway, first thing we did when we got it home was pull the plow off and store it in the barn....it's hopefully done snowing here in Wisconsin. One thing we couldn't figure out though was how to get the lift cylinder to go down all the way. It looks like there is a valve in the line to the lift cylinder with a small thumb screw on it, but I'm not sure what that valve does. Since I haven't worked with an RT1 before and since manuals seem to be virtually non-existent, I figured I would ask on here before trying anything. So if there's a trick to getting this cylinder to collapse for the summer, please let me know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

It's always great to see these original plow systems still doing the job! Thanks for posting the photos. Jamie Armstrong, BOSS Service Technician, is the most familiar with the RT1 systems and would be happy to assist you with any questions you may have. He can be reached at the BOSS factory by calling 800-286-4155 ext. 2 and requesting to speak with Jamie.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have an original RT1 manual in the shop... I should scan it one of these days. It keeps coming up occasionally...

4. ALLDUN5

ALLDUN5 Junior Member

Please do!!!!!

5. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

6. ALLDUN5

ALLDUN5 Junior Member

Thank you.

7. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

Thank you for posting this. It will definitely be useful.

8. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Key on, plow switch in float, apply lots of down pressure. :) We sometimes jacked up the plow a bit to take the chain off. Always liked chain lifts. If something broke we would run it into a snow pile and short chain it to get it back to shop.

9. dwmaster

dwmaster Junior Member

It's a inline needle valve to adjust the down speed when lowering the plow. Depends if you want it to go down slow or break ice when it drops.