1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picked up a New Diamond Today

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Nov 9, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I picked up another new Diamond 9' today. Went with the pull away mounting system.

Everything looked good on the truck. However I ordered the touch pad, and ended up getting the new style one. I asked my dealer if he had any of the older styles, and he said no. They do use the same plug, so I guess I will have to see how it works.

Anyone else have the new style touch pad?

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Call Southford Garage in CT. I know that they have some in stick. I am not sure how the new one works sompared to the old.

Youi went with the new MDII system or the old Meyer style pull away? I like the looks of the new system.
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I was at the chevey dealer the other day and I saw 2 chevy dumps both with duramaxes.One had the MDII and the other had the fisher set up.I could not belive the difference between the too.The fisher set up had alot of room under the mounting hook up as the diamond did not.Now I have a diamond on my chevy now.In one way I liked the fisher for havinf move room under the mount.
  4. GeoffD

Went with the old style pull away mounting system.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Not sure by what you mean about room under the mount. Do you mean ground clearance?

Geoff I always thought the old style was just like the Meyer. Though the lift frame is the same I noticed that the lower truck frame is much better then the Meyer style. I really like the Diamond blade. Though I have not plowed with it. I need to get a truck to get this plow mounted on.
  6. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

New Diamond

I looked over a new Diamond 8 ft the other day. I was impressed. The moldboard looked very strong, with the largest curl I have seen. Also the stainless steel pins are a plus. The E60 pump has a good rep. Only drawback was the truck mount, it was low on an 250 SD, would have liked more ground clearence. Overall maybe the best straight blade going.

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Yes CT18fireman the ground clearence like daveo said but this was on a chevy 1 ton
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Remember the Chevy front end is a lot lower overall. I know that Meyer and Western set ups are low. Fisher has always had high clearance.
  9. GeoffD

Fisher Ground Clearance:

I think fisher provides great ground clearance to:

The plow mounts of these trucks mount close to the frame, providing max ground clearance.

However remember the Old Style F Sereis.

That high riding F 350 Pick UP, the Fisher mounts actually decreased ground clearance. Fisher mounts have to be a 14" or so from the ground. The F 350 sat high, there for required the mounts to drop lower. Thus the mounts for the F 350 might have actually decreased ground clearance. IMO

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have the old style F350's. I find that the ground clearance with the mount is still higher then my friends with Chevies.

I think that the Fisher mount being closer to the frame prevents "leveraging" on the front end of the truck. With the western mount the plow forces are very low to the ground.
  11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've got two diamond plows and love 'em. They are HEAVY though, you might consider Timbren suspension bumpers. AW Direct has them.
    If you are plowing streets with heavy snow, you can expect to burn up cutting edges pretty quick due to the weight.
  12. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

A good class two urethane edge can help ease the weight as opposed to wear issue.