1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picked up a new 9'2 XT with ATF

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rjfetz1, Dec 4, 2008.

1. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

The dealer recommended ATF as I watched him pour it in. WTF? Now I read no one here recommends using ATF. Guess I will have to drain out the ATF and use the Boss fluid now thats its getting nice and cold out........

2. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

Your Boss dealer was using ATF? WTF is right!!:dizzy:

3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I'd be pissed. That's ridiculous.

I might understand if you brought it to him to change the fluid and he genuinely wanted to save you a few bucks. But in this situation the only person saving money is the dealer.

yup.... i'd be pissed.

4. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I emailed Boss and told them my situation ... hope to get a response on Friday what action I should take and this way it is in writting..

5. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

What action should you take?

I'd say find a new dealer and go from there.

What's the name of the place that sold you a new plow filled with ATF? Quality service like this should be recognized!!!

6. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Well "action" was the wrong choice of words - Perhaps if they recommend a new dealer they will pay for the drain and new fluid. I just paid $6,000 I should not have to pay. Heck, I have not even used it yet and have to change the fluid?!? That might be a first. Maybe they will say its fine - who knows. Need to compare ATF w/Boss fluid.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  7. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

A good synthetic transmission fluid will protect a 15k$ allison transmission what makes you think it wont work in a low use appliacation like a plow hydraulic system? Do you really think boss's fluid is superior when im sure all they do is bottle something up and sell it as their own fluid, sounds like good marketing to me, is all..

8. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Seems to me like tranny fluid and hydro fluid are different animals. One is used to lubricate and disperse heat, and the other to maintain a consistent viscosity in cold temps and not absorb moisture.

Do i think Boss's hydro fluid is superior to other hydro fluid? Not necessarily. Do i think it's better than automatic transmission fluid? definately.

9. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

the remarks of a genius :dizzy: atf will gel up in a plow application.. fetz you did the right thing by contacting boss that is rediculous. it doesnt matter what brand plow oil you use there all similar, i just run boss cuz im always hanging out at my local boss shop helping out. itll cost you around $10 bucks a year to run the proper fluid for the plow, not too bad on a 6k dollar investment.

10. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Spoke to Boss today - he said as long as your temp. stays above -20 you will be fine. ATF USED to stop pouring at -20 however he believes it has changed and gone to -40. He said it is fine.

11. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

So in other words it's NOT fine, last time I checked It does get colder than -20 so why would he not just say, no it should be changed?

12. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

FWIW - it doesn't get colder than -20 in Connecticut...

13. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Seems to me that if it freezes at -20 then it will start to gel well before that.

I'm very disappointed that Boss is dropping the ball.

14. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

he believes? at -20 ATF is 11 times thicker than any plow oil, so how much thicker and gel like would it be at -10, or even 0? a transmission and a plow are two different applications that require more specific fluids. oh well its not my 6 grand purchase do as you please.

15. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I got it in writting (email) that both Boss & ATF fluids pourability is -60, many people do run ATF w/o any problems. He stated I could run any fluid cuz fluid is fluid, just different colors. He wrote it will be fine this season , change it for next season. I don't want any issues so i'm changin it.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

In all honesty I would leave it untill next year, we use to run ATF in everything with 0 problems.

17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I had moisture problems a few years ago when I bought the second used blade, it had ATF in it and had water as well, was literally freezing up in the plow. Took two full flushes to completely get rid of it all and has been trouble free since.

18. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

What do you think an automatic transmission is? Its a hyrdaulic power unit, same thing as your boss plow, but about 500x more complicated.. Look at power steering fluids that are used today, 99% of them use, what do you know, atf.. Viscosity of oils change with temperature, so whether your using hydraulic fluid or transmission fluid its all going to thicken up.. Both lubricate and disperse heat.. I wouldnt be using the old ford FA fluid, but i surely wouldnt second guess dexron 6 or mercon 5..

19. themechanic43

themechanic43 Junior Member

Boss Oil

Here's the deal. Boss oil is aircraft hydraulic oil. mil spec h-5606. The affiliated company that builds Boss's hydraulic and electronic systems is a contractor for the defense and aircraft industries. Snowplow hydraulic systems are built to withstand extreme conditions, such as heat, cold,and physical abuse, such are the same conditions as aircraft.

So you ask, what does this have to do with the fluid? Well the packings and seals used in plows are made of the same materials used in the high tech hydraulics used in aircraft equipment. ATF is extremely high detergent and greatly reduces the life of the internal packings and seals. The valves have very close tolerances and I have seen them expand to where you can't get the coil off because the fluid was too thick when the system was impacted. Actually, the old Ford type f was the closest you could get to the right stuff.

The old under hood systems could use ATF, because Boss was a whole different beast back then, and not as high tech. Also engine heat would warm it up faster.

I know that Boss lost one of it's best csr's last year and you probably got the new guy. I would drain and flush the tranny fluid and put Boss fluid in ASAP, if I just paid $6000 for a plow. I would also find a different dealer if possible. Your owners manual says to specifically use Boss hydraulic oil or equivalent- You shoulod be able to take it back and demand they replace the oil. It may even be a warranty requirement.

By the way, I worked for a large Boss distributer for several years until recently.

20. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, is there really any reason you couldnt use something like mobil 1 synthetic atf? is the pouring point temp higher or lower than the hydraulic fluid in the plows? $6-8per quart of meyers/boss/western hydraulic oil is ridiculous being that its not synthetic at all.