1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picked up a 2WD F350 Dually can I plow with this?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow2Go, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

Its a 2000 F350 Dually, If I throw some Weight in the back how is it to plow with? Obviously the landscapers use the 450 dump trucks to plow. Gvie me some feedback! ussmileyflag

2. I'llPLOWYou

I'llPLOWYou Member

You can plow with a 2WD as long as you remember it is a 2WD. Don't get yourself in the spots you might with a 4WD.

3. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

Load it up with alot of weight..and get some really knobby tires..shouldn't have too many issues.

4. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

How many sand bags?

5. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

Put some weight in the back and get some tire chains on it you should be fine. You sould also plow down hill. Now go get that payup

6. JKMATHIEU

JKMATHIEU Junior Member

You will be fine if you are careful!

7. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

What are you plowing? Flat surfaces and parking lots you might be okay. Driveways and stuff with Hills....not so much.

8. ScottPA

ScottPA Senior Member
    from PA

I would put atleast 2,000 lbs worth. And You can use chains but im not too sure that clients with blacktop would be to happy about that idea

9. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

chains are illegal to use here anyway. But good tires and lots of weight is all you need.

10. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I use a F350 2WD to plow my biggest parking lot...you'll be fine...just remember put at least 1 ton of weight in the back..i use fill sand...get some good tires and remember that really steep hills are out of the question also be careful around ditches because if you slide a rear tire in one you're cooked...the worst part of 2wd for me is driving to the lots to clear them because the roads are usually horrible and it takes 2x as long to get there in the dump vs my 4wd pickups

11. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

just make sure the back tires are snow or knobby and youd be fine.

im going to use our 2wd f150 this season as backup. With good tires and only pushing a few inches here and there it wont have an issue.

We've had two skids of 2500~lb worth of salt in the back of our dually f350... its rediculous how much it holds. If i could get away with going down the road with 2 skids tall, and had somewhere to strap it down, i would have carried 3 lol. You can get 4-5k in weight in the back in salt or sand bags and it wont get stuck on any pavement... we rarely had ours in 4x4 all winter anyway

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Plenty of weight and use on bigger lots will be fine
    Drives would be a bad idea

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you serious? Knobby tires and snow generally don't mix.

Do you spin when you go into the pile?

14. Pennings Garden

Pennings Garden Senior Member
    from VA

Parking lots? yes sure, weight in the back and you'll be fine.

Drive ways? I wouldn't... to many place to run off pavement, to many curves, to narrow to back out of a bad spot.

15. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I carry 3 to 5 ton on the back of my 2wd. I use knobby tires and I plow many drives uphill.

16. Jenkins12

Jenkins12 Junior Member

Knobby tires work great as long as you get them siped and have plenty of weight in the back.

17. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I have a 2wd ford f350 dually and have thought about putting a plow on it. I use it primarily for my anti-ice spraying ahead of the storms but have thought about putting a plow on it to send to bigger accounts. It is only one wheel peel. would it be ok or should i install a posi or a locker before attempting to plow with it, or will I be ok. When the sprayer is full its just shy of 2 tons and i would plow with it full. Any suggestions would be great.

18. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

you'll be fine..i don't have posi

19. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Cool, now the next trick is finding a truck mount for a 2wheel 95 f-350 diesel. My western dealer couldn't't really find anything to fit it, and my boss dealer was no help. Guess I may just have to have one built for whatever plow I decide to go with. Did you have to do anything with the front end of the truck to hold the weight. The front end of my truck seems to be pretty low, didn't't know if I needed to put some type of leveling kit on it or air bags.

20. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

What type of tire have peple had good luck with on their 2 wheel duallys? As far as "drive" tires