1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Picked up 2 new accounts yesterday

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

One of my best customers referred a new one to me yesterday. I'll be doing their personal driveway and these people are caretakers for this $1.5 million home that sits on a peninsula between two lakes. Beautiful home & area, but man...they must have had one hell of time getting building materials back into where this shack sits. Anyway, the driveway is real narrow and gravel for about 500ft. then turns into pavement which goes to the house, makes a loop in front of the house then continues past the house to another "small" guest house about 300 feet from the main home. The people that own this estate mainly use it in the summer, maybe a couple times in the winter so they want it plowed each time it snows.

My question is this: The driveway is really narrow, and the loop (oval in shape) in front of the main house is VERY tight, I can't make the turn at either end without stopping, backing up and turning again real tight. To complicate things a bit they have sprinkler heads right next to the pavement that I need to be careful with. How should I go about plowing this area? I plowed it out yesterday during the daytime so I could see. I got out and walked (marking) where the pavement ends and grass starts so I wouldn't take out the heads. I plowed the loop first, pushing the ends to one side of the loop then pushed all the snow down towards the guest house as that won't be used during the winter (caretaker said that was okay). The rest of the driveway was simple, just pushed all the snow out and away from the estate into an area beyond the driveway.

Is there some sort to trick or easier way to plow this loop you guys can think of or have experienced? When I was done it all looked really good and I did a good job, but I was on pins and needles doing this loop area. Last guy got fired as he caused $500 in damage to sprinkler heads. The job took me about 30 minutes and I'm charging them $75, $15 more then the last guy. Any suggestions or ideas? I'm all ears. (or eyes in this case I guess).

Buck

2. Up North

Up North Senior Member

ideas anyone?

3. MN_BR

MN_BR Member

Buck,
    Sounds like you did exactly what you needed too.
    Send me an email, ive got a similar scenario.
    -Brad
    brittgers@unitelc.com

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Put a orange marker in front of each sprinkler head. They should be at least 12ft tween them unless they are low pressure in any case that way you would know eggsactly where each head is.

5. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you got it done right. Get a shorter wheelbase truck. tighter turns. ;)