1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pick Up Truck rate per hour

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by rpainetfd, Sep 29, 2009.

1. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

Its been a few years since I bid by the hour. What is an average rate you guys are charging for a pick up by the hour for parking lots? Thanks for the input.

2. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Well some will say $150.00 to $500.00 a hr others will say $50.00 to $100.00.

I would say your safe in the range of $25.00 to $500.00 per truck hr. Good Luck and let the good times roll.

3. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

lol :drinkup:

4. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Did a search myself. Came up with all the same old JA's with same old comments, and not much new or useful unless you are looking for 08-09 rates. Used a lot of different verbage in the searches to try to get some good info. NADA. If you have time to type the garbage, you have time to type something helpful. JMO, WIATC (which is all that counts). A little research around here turned up roughly 55-85/hr. I know that's regional, but at least it might be helpful.

5. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Them #'s fell in my range

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

75 to 125 an hour. the more snow you get the cheaper per hour in most cases. good Luck

7. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

If you have been plowing for any amount of time you would of understood my post. A guy in one state can not price out work in another.

8. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

I wasnt looking for someone to do my legwork for me, I was looking for fair input. I know how to cost my expenses, figure my profit, etc. I also know that any service is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If you can get $100.00 per hour in your market, than that is what you can get, If you can only get $35.00, than that is what you can get. I was just looking for input on this years price ranges for per hour. I usually bid by the storm which carries different factors (average number of pushes per storm times price per hour, additional figured for clean up, etc). Than there is always the low ballers that screw the whole mix up. I also know that I cant just ask every one of my competitors what they charge and figure from there, that would be price fixing which is illegal. Good luck to all this season. Happy pushing.

9. rpainetfd

rpainetfd Member

Well put Kodiakguy, dont want to cut anyones throat, just didnt want to price myself right out of the market. Sent in bid this morning. Job requires two trucks, $100.00 per hour per truck. Start clearing at 2" and rescrape every 2" till done.

10. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

I gave that to you in my 1st post. Its just that times are tough and everyone is putting plows on their truck and taking money away from the legit contractor, they are lowballing now and taking clients from us that we have had for some time messing up everything we worked so hard for and this is what we do for a living and feed our kids. When Joe Jerkoff goes out and buys a plow and runs around town undercutting my bids because he has no clue just pisses me off. Yes he will not last but guess what he already took money out of my pocket and now another assclown goes out and buys a plow and takes his place. Sorry for my little rant lol

11. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Dang I need to get off this forum and get back to my paperwork and get back with the mowing crew. Talk about loosing money I m doing a good job of it today lol.

12. snowman4

snowman4 Senior Member

It seems like you said it yourself.

$35-$100 is a pretty big difference hourly. So if you want to know how much changed from last year to this year I'm goign to say it varies... it probably varies by at least a $35-$100 range! I'm sure where ever you live plowing season hasn't started yet since it hasn't started for any of us yet. How would we know anything more then the precise $35-$100 you can guess?

13. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

IMO, trucks are not worth anymore than $55 to $65. A backhoe that can STACK is worth $82/hr & up. (based in Ottawa)

Trucks are coffee getters for Tim Hortons, thats about it!

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Some say trucks are worth more than a skid. Every situation is different. Parking lots a skid with a box would be much better than a pickup w/ 8 foot straight blade. Busting out camp roads a pickup with a V-plow is much better than a skid with a gravel bucket.

Pricing is very regionalized. There are guys on here from Jersey claiming to pull in a grand in 4 hours. Other guys are lucky to get a fifth of that.

15. bub3020

bub3020 Member
    from ma.

$100 for a pickup sounds good to me , i only get 80 for a 1 ton. so if u can get it thats good for you!

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How much are you paying for salt?

17. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

I agree, pickups are worth that rate. Dumps with larger blades around $80. As for the backhoes with boxes, going rate down here is around $120-$160 / hr

18. Dan s

Dan s Junior Member
    from ct.

i agree with your rant. ha ha

19. plowmaster07

plowmaster07 Senior Member

So I would like to know where you are bidding that I am not. lol. One of the first times I have seen a local person on here. Good luck man, bidding is done tomorrow am on the 2 contracts that I have put in for, then we shall wait and see.
    Aaron

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So when you say "Plowin Ford Tough" you mean Ford tractors? I thought they went out of the tractor business years ago. You must be running some old iron.