1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pick up plow on skid steer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rudyk, Mar 10, 2013.

1. rudyk

rudyk Junior Member

Has anybody converted a pick up truck snow plow to a skid steer. If so how well does it work, and problems, etc...

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you'd be the first person in the world to do that...

3. rudyk

rudyk Junior Member

wow mark13 for someone with 4600 posts, and that much time on your hands, you would have thought you would have seen one, by now.
    Just looking for some advice.
    Thanks

4. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

DO a search im sure you'll find all the advice you need.

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

around here Old plows get converted to skid loader plows or tractor loader plows There a guy around here will buy old plows and convert them to skid loader resell them for good profit
    I'm looking for a trip edge Fisher 9ft plow to make a snow pusher

6. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

Saw an older boss v plow on a skid steer & it worked great. Just make a mount plate for quick attach.

7. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I have....took an eight foot fisher, had a mounting plate welded and some hoses made up. Only issue is that the thing slams back and forth. There is some sort of restricting valve, I believe that you can put on the hoses but I never did. You just have to tap the button and it goes a little slower.

8. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

If there's a Will, there's a way. Bunch of back yard engineering here.

9. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I did it cheap too. Paid 150 bucks for an old fisher, solid but rusty. Painted it, bought a mounting plate for a little over a hundred bucks on ebay. Paid a couple hundred for welding/fab work. around 100 for hoses plus paint and misc. stuff. Under 700 all done

10. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

I like cheap, as long as everything works.

11. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

I've gotta do some engineering on a friends skid steer plow. We're making wings, so he can move more snow.

12. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Its a pretty quick task, If you're interested I can post on how to do so with where to buy the parts as well as how I went about doing it. I would just need a little bit of time to get it all together. But as a general run down on it buy an old fisher 9' plow. Cut off the ears and then weld it to a 3/8ths quick tach plate. In line flow restrictor and cross over relief valve also in the mix and you've got yourself a great plow. I am welding wings on mine to make it a 10.5' plow as it just needs to be bigger.

13. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

Operable wings? He said they could just be removable, but I wanna make them operating, so he has more versatility.

14. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

I have a cat 226 and I feel like it would really struggle with anything more than an 8' plow in a decent snow storm or wet and heavy stuff. I thought about doing the removable wings on it so in light fluffy/small snow amounts we could use the wings but take them off in the big storms.

Ford, curious about the relief valve etc. What do I need and how if you don't mind, not real mechanical but I try!

15. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

I was thinking of cutting down an old v plow to make it narrower for sidewalks & tight sports. I'd like to put it on a jeep, but not sure if it can handle the weight. It would probably work great on a small skid steer, but then you can't travel without trailering.

16. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

here is a link that may help you out. It isn't mine but I used it as a guide to help me along the way.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~thompson_wp/bobcat/bobcatplow.htm

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  17. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

18. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

Thanks. I'll check it out.

19. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

20. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

Good question antlerart. It looks like the chain supports the blade, but then it just floats? Is that so you don't dig in when plowing?