1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pick up plow advice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Arptplow, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Arptplow

Arptplow Junior Member

Hi, new to this forum, but not new to plowing.

I am considering purchasing a plow for a pickup truck. I have heard good and bad reviews regarding all types. Hoping for some experienced advice.

Use:
    We operate and maintain a small airport in northern Ontario, Canada. Two runways, ramps, parking lot, and drive way. We use heavy equipment - grader, loaders, blower etc.
    The pick up truck plow would be intended to be used for drive way (1/2 mile) and parking lot ( 25 vehicles). Typically we would still use the grader, but for light snow, or in between season when ground is soft. To try and save wear and tear on the ground, pavement, and equipment. As well, simply for a back up plan should the need arise (which it did last spring - hence our interest) to skim off a runway last minute, and then clean up when grader is going. We do not have much runway activity during winter. We are a maintenance base - road, parking lot, ramps etc need to be cleared. If it turns out to be easier, I might just use it to do the driveway and parking lot daily. As well as my home driveway.

Truck: I can put it on a 3/4 ton gas or a 1 ton diesel.

I have looked at many different plots online. Western, boss, blizzard, Meyer, Arctic, etc etc. to be honest they all look pretty much the same to me.

I do like the idea of the extra hydraulic wings on the blizzard and western. But are they reliable, or one more hing to maintain and fix. I have also heard blizzard is not good for manufactures support.

Locally I have a good supplier for Arctic.

As well, I do not wish to go with light duty, something that will last and stand up to some abuse.

Any suggestions or advice from those that have real world experience would be appreciated.

Thank you
    Jeff

2. Arptplow

Arptplow Junior Member

Anyone? :mechanic:

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Fisher XLS

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well if you said you had an artic dealer near by, what's wring with them?
    Who else do you have for a dealer in your area, you never said?

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

What really matters is how are you going to fix it when it breaks. Are you going to fix it or have it fixed? Will you have a back up? If you don't have back ups or are not fixing yourself buy what is local. Otherwise get a BOSS V Plow. After using a V plow you will never go back. :p

6. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Every plow has it's pro's and con's.

The question is are you going to be working on your own plow or having the work done?

If you working on your own plow, then looking at what your doing, a V-plow is the way to go with wings on the 1 ton.

As for brand, I'm a Western guy and the new MVP3, well I bought it this year and waiting to try her out.

If your not working on the plow and having the work done by someone else, go with a dealer close by that offers good support in case of breakdown.

My western Pro plus brand new the first year, the first storm did great, plowed 12 commercials with it.
    Got home doing my own driveway and a hose let go at 11pm at night, needless to say didn't expect that and had no replacements as I had just bought her.
    Called my dealer and drove there and got a new hose, they even replaced it for me for no charge.

Just goes to show you, you never know and when something breaks and you can't fix it then it's good to have a dealer who has parts you need and open regardless of the time.

7. Grizzleyadam

Grizzleyadam Junior Member

Go with dealer support. always always always. There are some things you just can't fix without the parts. Overnight mail doesn't always cover it either.

8. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

You may also want to check and make sure the plow you get will work on both trucks. Even if you only get one plow you can put a mount on both trucks that way if one truck is down you have a backup tp put the plow on. Even for a small airport, you don't want to leave anything to chance.

9. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

boy I would strongly consider the blizzard, western wide out, or fisher xls---in that order. For the applications you mention the expandable efficiency would be huge and would in my opinion outweigh the risk of the extra moving parts.

The full trip blizzard and western will scrape the asphalt better, if you have anything gravel the fisher will be better.

10. Arptplow

Arptplow Junior Member

Thank you. That was mine line of thinking. I appreciate the input from everyone.

11. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada