1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pick my plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OhioPlower, Aug 8, 2007.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Im having trouble deciding on which plows to get. Ive narrowed it down to 2 blizzard 810s, 2 Boss 9'2'' V's or a 8.5' MVP and a 9' Pro Plus w/ wings on the dump. The trucks they would be going on are a 04 gmc 2500hd reg cab dmax and a 07 3500 dump dmax- both are red. Plowing would mostly be small commercial lots, nothing too big.

2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 8'2" boss and a 9'2" boss, and plow smaller commerical lots as well. I wouldn't change a thing I have tried lots of other plows and love the way the boss handels.

Good luck and let us know what you choose. BOSSMAN

3. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I would put a 810 on the 3500, and the Western 8'6" V on the 2500. The biggest Blizzard that you can put on the 2500 dmax is the 860. Check out Blizzards website. But thats what i would do. Good luck with your decision. Take some pictures. Rich

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

If i were plowing lots I would go for a plow with wings. Be is manual or powered. I feel they are more efficiant. I am a big fan of V plows for residentals.

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

9' pro plus with wings on the 3500 dump.
    western wideout (blizzard 810 basically but better) on the 2500hd.
    This is same set up I am running this year on a 3/4 ton ford pickup and a 1 ton ford dump. I would stick with all westerns. If you really want a V plow then go with the 8.5' mvp plus and get the wings for it.

6. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I have a meyers 8.5' V on my pickup now and would like something bigger and definitely more reliable. I would consider 2 wideouts but I dont want to try them on their first year. Im kind of leaning towards 2 810s because of their productivity. Where I live I dont NEED a V plow but they are nice for stacking. Do the 810s stack pretty well? Does the pump get in the way when you are stacking w/ a blizzard?

7. itsgottobegreen

A 9' pro plus with wings still is wider than a blizzard 810. (I have put mine wing to wing agains a 810) I assume one of your employees is going to be running that truck. I would give him the simplest thing to operated. I plowed all winter with the wings last year on the dump. Didn't have one problem.

You won't have any problems with the wide out. Its the same wiring, controller, pump as the MVP plus. Thats been out already and is a proven set up. Then the mounting frame, and rest of the plow is basically a pro plus plow. Also a proven setup for many years. SALOPEZ and mine wideout with be here and mounted by the end of the month.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I guess we'll see what you say by the end of the season. Pretty confident for the rest, as very, very few have real experience and then only with the prototypes not the final production.

As for the plows, I'd stick with the Blizzard's, they are the only tested and proven expanding wing plow on the market. Don't let having an employee run one keep you from buying one, they are a tough plow, not indestructible, but tough. Might not be as big as a Western with wings, but you won't be getting in and out to take them on and off, throwing them in the back of the truck, etc. Having them hydraulically controlled is priceless because of the versatility it allows.

9. itsgottobegreen

I work for a western dealer in the winter. I have real faith in the wideout. The only problem I saw with the new MVP plus last year was a bad oring in a few units that leaked fluid out of the tank. Western really tests their products now after the whole tornado disaster. The blizzard had many teething problems when they came out. AKA reason for the erie special. Western and fisher took this all in when they designed the new power plows. My westerns have never let me down. You probably will hear me saying. I didn't have any problems with my plow at the end of the season. That it works great, I am buying 10 more or something like that. :rolleyes:

10. Mark Oomkes

So which is it? You won't have any problems or you probably won't have any problems?

Never said Blizzard didn't have problems the first year, what I said is that Blizzard's are tested and proven reliable and tough. Nobody can say that for a Wideout or XLS, yet.

As for working for a Western dealer, goody gumdrops, the OP as far as we know doesn't so doesn't have the same resources as you do.

The Erie Special came into being long after the Niemala's fixed the factory problems, the Erie Special was to make an awesome plow bulletproof, but you know this so I'm not sure why you're distorting the facts.

On top of that, he didn't even have the Wideout in his list of plows to purchase, used to be a Blizzard dealer who was royal PITA here that did the same thing, hope you're not heading down that road.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

If your leaning toward Blizzard you will be fine. IMO If ya gotta have Red go with a Pro Plus with wings.
    The wideout has how many hours of testing ????? Anyone ????? The Tornado was bullet proof too :eek:
    They claimed they tested the piss out of that thing too. Green have you seen a Western wide out yet up close and personal ?

12. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I checked out the Boss plows the other day. Those are some nice plows. Another option I have thought of would be a 8.5ft and a 9ft Boss straight blades and put the Boss wings on them. They are alot lighter than v plows and 810s, cheaper too. What do you guys think?

13. Mark Oomkes

I would be OK with a straight Boss, not a V. Have had several over the years and was not impressed with longevity.

They will not be as efficient as the Blizzard, wings or not. If I were you and had the money, I would go with the Blizzard(s).

14. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im extremely pleased with my Boss 8.2V. I have wings on it too which make it 10'. I haven't had one problem with it. I had a Blizzard in '05. Wasn't a bad plow, but wasn't pleased that a brand new plow was getting pretty rusty after one season of use. I wash my plow down after every event and keep it stored in a heated garage too. Can't imagine what it would have looked like if I kept it outside. Maybe they have the paint problem corrected now, I dont know?

15. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Would 810s wear down the front ends on my trucks faster than regular straight blades because the added weight and wider plow? Has blizzard done anything to fix their paint quality? I see alot of blizzards out there that arent too old but they are rusty. or would that be the owners fault for letting them rust? Thanks for all the replies

16. Mark Oomkes

To an extent, yes, they will cause more wear on the front end. However--this goes for the paint issue too--I could care less about the wear or paint on my plow when it is at least 30% more efficient than any other plow on the market currently.

But yes, the paint has gotten slightly better over the past couple years as well as the whole DD changeover. But then I've seen (owned) some DD plows that had the sorriest excuse for a paint job that I've ever seen too.