1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pick my plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Aug 22, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Ive purchased a 2003 F-150 Ex. cab 4x4. The eng. is the 5.4 and front end rating is 3600 and gross rating is 6500. I was thinking on a western suburbinite or the LDX plow. I was also wondering if I will need timbrens for this vehicle.

If anyone plows with this type vehicle, what plow would you guys purchase and is there anything I should look out for such as damages that has accured to your vehicles of this type from plowing. I will be puchasing the plow soon so any help would be a big help

I will be plowing mostly residential approx. 10-25 drives and 3 small lots.

Thanks

2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

Snoway Predator MT....heavier duty then the western....yet still reasonable weight...

Derek

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

why not a 7 or a 7.5 ultramount westen or a meyers

4. snoking

snoking Senior Member

agree use a sno-way...doing mostly drives you will use the down pressure....plus the 5 year warrantee

two reasons in your case not to use western or meyer

5. clncut

I was reading in some other threads, some have had problems with their sno-way plows. Some stated they had leaky hydrolic hoses and had many cracks occured.

I did think about the sno-way, does anyone know the difference in weight. I also dont believe their is a dealer close to me that sells sno-way plows.

6. snoking

snoking Senior Member

i havent heard of any hoses leanking around here.....

7. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

well the westerns have a optional backblade on there plows also i back blade no problem with my meyers

8. clncut

Anyone else care to input? There is a Western dealer right down the street from me. The closest sno-way dealer is at least 1.5 hrs away!!

9. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

First of all don't let anyone talk you into getting a homsteader or some other sport utility plow. I would get a 7'5" Western Standard or pro plow. Personally i don't like meyers but i suppose that would work too. If the western dealer is close then its the best choice. You could also get an RD or LD 7'6" Fisher if a dealer is close by. My plow weighs 750 LBS on a 2000 F-150, 37 driveways + flagdowns, many storms over 6" some over a foot and 2 over 20", 2 seasons and no problems to speak of. 150s are not 3/4 or 1 tons but they can take much bigger plows than snoways.

10. rainair

rainair Senior Member

go with the western... you'll be glad u did

11. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Try the Blizzard 7.5 ld weight is only 550 lbs. Truck carries the plow well.

12. clncut

Thanks for all your input. I will be going with a western plow. Just spoke with the dealer today and they stated they are having a meeting tomorrow to discuss some big western blowout sale for September and told me to wait since they will be having big sales. So I will wait till Sept. to get my Western. Ill keep ya posted on what plow I pick and how much of a so called deal they made!