1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pick my plow!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by qualitylawncare, Mar 3, 2004.

1. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Hi guys!

I just bought a 1998 Ford F-150 XLT Ext. Cab Long Bed 4x4
    4.6ltr V-8 Automatic

I'm going to put a plow on it for next winter.. Help me pick which plow or give me one I don't have listed.. Thanks!

7'2" Western LSX Uni-mount

or the

7'6" Fisher LD

Will only be used on residential driveways...

picture 47043.jpg
  2. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

7'6" Fisher LD or RD series
  3. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

RD series is too heavy for a 1/2 ton. You might want to look at a Blizzard 7'6" LT. with power hitch.
  4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzard would be good... I have seen rd fishers on 1/2 tons but ld would be better. If you want to go western or fisher pick the lighter of the two you listed.
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

western makes a nice set up
  6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

You want to get the longest and lightest plow you can. When yo get the plow on, you'll need about 600-800 lbs of ballast behind the rear axle. Tube sand works well.
  8. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

look at blizzard!

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Fisher LD 7&1/2:)
  10. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

Blizzard or fisher.
  11. big blue 2500

big blue 2500 Junior Member

Meyer lists STL-7.5 at about 520 lbs.
  12. Blamby

Blamby Junior Member

Go with the sno-way.
  13. juggernaut

juggernaut Member

I dont see why you cant go with a fisher RD 7.5 series or Meyers st 7.5 both plows weight approx 650 lbs installed (meyers is 656 lbs and Fisher is 630 lbs) At the golf course we have an 85 150 with the meyers st 7.5 and it handles it fine, been runnin it for years not a single problem (except for rust).
  14. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

15. cja1987

Trucks were built a little tougher back then then they are now. RD would be ok but ld is better. I have a hevier plow then what goes on the average 1/2 ton but have not had a problem yet. Iam still not overweight on the front so it does not bother me.
  16. DJC

DJC Senior Member

go with the fisher.............. Used to live in Maine and they were made about 40 min's from me. great plow!!!!!!!
  17. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have a 7'6" Fisher RD with a cutting edge on my 1996 Chevy half ton. With ballast it does great. I love it!
  18. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

With that 1/2 ton..................Western 7'6 Ultra-mount with
    Cab Command. Priced right too !....................geo
  19. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

check the weight but a hiniker c plow might be the ticket one of my buddys has one on a chevy 2500 he even sold his back blade
    said he didnt need it anymore
  20. cja1987

I have not heard much about those c plows, are they more popular in other parts of the country (midwest?). They seem like a good idea for driveways but i could not see myself buying one when it probley does not give you much more advantage then a regular blade backdragging, i could be wrong thets just my opinion from seeing videos of the thing.