1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pick a color

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vintage steel, Sep 7, 2012.

1. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

While two trucks is a long way from being a "fleet", I would like to bring some continuity to my business. I was thinking it might be a good idea to paint my trucks to match. Both of my trucks are older, although they are good solid trucks, I don't need to concern myself with resale value.
    It seems like 90% of plow trucks I see are white, the rest are painted regular average [every day] colors.
    I was considering going with a high impact color like blaze orange, bright yellow, or maybe even hot pink. Something that could be spotted and recognized from 4 blocks away. I'm going for brand recognition, I want people, eventually, to know who I am without even having to read the sign.

Just thought I'd try to get some feedback, what do you think the best color would be? And why.
    As always, I appreciate any and all input.
    -Russ

2. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I've become partial to the "IDoctorTrees" companies custom paint jobs on his trucks. Two tone w/ the front fenders matching his plow...It's a simple & clean look, where even from a far distance you would know whose truck it is.

Have a looksee : http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=1374592#post1374592

3. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Suplime green is a good color

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

How about a wrap?

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I heard $5,000

6. leigh

from CT

Did a quick search and 10-12$ a sq ft. Paint it is!

7. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

I am considering sublime green. Although, I'm not sure if my industrial paint supply store has that.

8. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Talk to you local vocational school to see how much it would be for them to doit. If they don't have it thy can mix it for you

9. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

I just had my service truck wrapped. I will no longer paint anything. Vinyl wrap is the way to go. And no it didnt cost $5000. It was way less and I had a huge truck wrapped.

10. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Sullivanseptic- how much did you pay if you don't mind my asking?

11. SullivanSeptic

This truck was all white. I had a two tone wrap. The green and black are 3M vinyl. Best wrap material available. All the logos and writing are machine cut and printed and are layed over the wrap. Lots of detail and cutting on this thing. It was way less then $5000.

Box truck resized.jpg

12. born2farm

born2farm 2000 Club Member

I was in the same situation as you when I bought my second plow truck. I wanted to go with lime green because I use that for all of my company shirts and marketing. My only issue was, if I ever go buy a new truck I have to get it painted first thing. I decided to go with red for my fleet. There is only a few guys running red trucks around me.

13. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

That looks great. You say "way less" than $5000, how much less? I'm a pretty handy guy, I can paint both my trucks for around $150 (total, not each), that's hard to beat. Vinyl will cost me around $150 per truck. That's $225 per truck, so I think I'm going to stick with the traditional paint and vinyl.

14. SullivanSeptic

That truck of mine would have cost way more than $150 to paint. Not to mention its two tone and then all the lettering. I have lettering on back and sides. And decals on door, front hood and front wind fairing. I understand that if you are painting yourself or doing anything yourself, its cheap. But to pay someone to paint a truck properly, its more money. When i say way less than $5000, I mean about half that price.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Why is it such a secret?

16. SullivanSeptic

Its not. I just dont like throwing out numbers all over. So it was $2800.

17. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

The Abominable Green Snow Machine !!

Although, the picture doesn't do the color justice, I went with a super bright (almost neon) lime green.
    I dubbed it "The Abominable Green Snow Machine" I'll get it stickered up in the next couple weeks, Should be painting the Bronco to match next week.
    Paint job cost about $60 Vinyl will end up being about $200 per truck.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  18. leigh

from CT

I'm speechless! :dizzy:

19. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

There is no excuse why you should ever be hit in that truck!, It could be a complete white out and you will still be seen. BTW back in the day I had a sub with a blazer truck like that, it got nick named "THE BLUCK", it was awesome!!

20. vintage steel

vintage steel Member

[​IMG]
    I painted up "truck number 2" tonight. Now I have a matching set!
    That engine that is painted to match actually belongs to Tim, my head mechanic, he is planning on putting it in his boat tomorrow.
    ...Do you think he'll like his new paint job? :laughing: I just couldn't help myself.