1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pic request. laptop mounts

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by countryboy1365, Feb 10, 2012.

1. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

Hoping yall could help me out. Im looking for pictures of laptop mounts. Any truck will do. im debating getting one for my chevy but im undecided because its stick. so if any one has a stick with a laptop mount id really like to see it.

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Here's a pic of the Jotto Desk mount in my 2011 Silverado. Sorry, it's not a stick. It's not the best pic... a buddy of mine took this pic as a joke... to show all the coffee cups after a couple days of plowing. :D I can get you a better pic, or just go to their website: http://www.jottodesk.net. I've had other mounts, and the Jotto desk is definitely the best.

156356_1503080100914_1351568320_31199740_8190655_n.jpg

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

4. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

5. Deerewashed

Deerewashed Senior Member

did we not just make one of these threads like a week ago?

6. GMD1984

GMD1984 Senior Member

yes the post above yours has the link

7. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

not really all i wanted was a picture of laptop mounts. the other thread is all interior pics and theres only one mount. But thanks anyway.

8. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

With a smart phone why would you need a laptop in the truck?

9. countryboy1365

countryboy1365 Member

conveniance. not to happy with my moto admiral.

10. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Ok, don't really see it but we all work differently....

11. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

I installed a computer in my truck and mounted an 8inch touch screen to my dash. I love it, and the scree would stay out of the way of the shifter. I will try to find a pic. the forums at mp3car.com have tons of info on carputers/carPCs... alot of people use the laptop as the computer but mount a separate screen to or in the dash. my computer boots up from hibernate when i turn the truck on, and runs windows 7. have wifi, and all the goodies. also use it with my trucks stereo system, i can just play all my music from the computer through my trucks speakers. very very handy, keeps your hands from trying to play with a phone and look at a tiny screen, plus with a touch screen its no more distracting than reaching for the stereo to change the station!

12. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Why get a laptop?

Im no rep for apple but, I have a macbook in the office, HTC evo for a Phone And a Apple IPAD for the truck. love my weather apps... [​IMG]

13. firefighter1406

firefighter1406 Senior Member

Which weather app is that Plow man Foster?

14. greg8872

greg8872 Member

15. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

I only saw one laptop in the whole thread. It was mostly switch boxes and flashlight mounts.

I am also interested in what options specific to laptops/ipads are available out there so cut the guy some slack.

Ram seems to make some nice mounts for iPads, but I would like to see one in the flesh before I order. No retailer seems to stock any of the upper end mounts.

16. <Benchmark>

<Benchmark> Member

ive got weather bug on my phone and i love it

17. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

+1 It works well for me too. And its free.

18. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I suppose if all you're doing is checking the weather and listening to music, then a smart phone or iPad is fine.

I can run my entire business from my truck via laptop, 4G mobile hotspot internet, and printer in the backseat. Manage 700+ accounts... check customer info, billing and payment info, print route sheets for cover drivers and subs, update our website (as we post service updates for different areas we service during storms... it cuts down on phone calls), print contracts, process credit cards, and tons more. Plus it's all networked to my office computer via internet, so the info is always current... both ways... from the office to the truck, and vice-versa. Not gonna do all of that from an iPad or smart phone. Heck, I've got an iPhone4, and it has enough trouble just being a telephone...

Like I said, I guess it's all in what you're looking to do. The laptop is a necessity for me. At this stage of my business, I couldn't imagine being out in the truck without it.

19. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

I don't pretend to know exactly what you are trying to do, but as a matter of curiosity, what of the items in the list of things you do could you not do with an iPad? I am able to check customer info, billing, payment, print, process credit cards etc. with an iPad. The only thing I don't do is update my website, so I cannot comment on that.

I am in the process of setting up things to replace paper check sheets etc with an iPad for each crew lead, but I am working through whether I need a laptop or iPad in the master vehicle, so i would be interested to hear your perspective on the need of a laptop.

20. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah its weatherBug. All i like to see is a Radar when im in the truck..
    I have like 5 other weather apps..
    Weather Channel
    AccuWeather
    Radar...something.

All are free and really cool apps!