1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pic of bed/cab gap

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bad Luck, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

It's a pic from my phone so it's not the best but if you look at it you can see the slight tilt. I'll try and get some more pics later.

Image021.jpg

2. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Can definitely see an arc to the truck. If you follow the contour at the top it almost looks like you've been sandwiched and the truck lifted behind the cab and in front of the box. Somethings not right. I can't remember, have you had a frame shop look at it?

Buck

3. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Buck - Not yet.

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Have you looks carefully at the frame yourself... I can clearly see the arc of the truck, there have to be something visible on the frame underneath....

5. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

Is this a new truck??

BD

6. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Had it a little over a year.

Frozen - Not yet, This Sunday I should access to a lift and a shop to look over everything.

7. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I would look at the cab mounts very close. From everything you have been talking about the last couple of months, I wonder if you don't have loose mounting bolts. If not you should have fairly obvious frame distortion.

I would make some measurement marks on each side of the truck using a wax pencil before raising on lift. Just to see if it moves when lifted up....

8. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Unless your lifting on a drive on lift the arm style lifts will cause the truck to flex some as it's lifted just because of the lifting points being closer to the center of the vehicle. All pickups will do this.

9. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Joe - The lift I will be using is a two post. The rear will be picked up by the tires, the front from the truck will be picked up by the lower control arms.

10. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

Wow, Did you buy it brand new??||

BD

11. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Yeah. Had 8 miles on it when I bought it.

12. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

Did you just notice this, is this something new.

13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Have you used a lot of balast, and tried stacking and lifting with the plow? Maybe this tweaked the frame?

I do know the 1500's frame isn't near the size of the 2500HD's. Both under the bed and under the cab.

14. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Wouldn't loose cab mounts results in some sort of squeak or other noise....maybe even a loose feel when driving...or even movement right to left...

15. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Guys
    the only way to know for sure is to put her up one frame rack and hang the gage's on it. That is the only truly accurate way to know for sure. If it was me I would find a frame guy who is been around for years to look at it. It will not take long to drive her up on the rack and no for sure one way or the other.

Good Luck Mike

16. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Mike - That's what I intend on doing. The truck is pulling like crazy to the left and on Saturday it's going in for an alignment. Maybe then the guy will be able to tell me what he thinks. Next week it's going to the frame shop.

This something that I just notice a few weeks ago. I only run about 450lbs of ballast. It could have happened with the last storm, or the cab mount are shto from that front frame section pulling at them everytime the blade was picked up.

I'll post the results of the alignment and of the frame shop once I get them.

Frozen - These trucks squeek rattle and pop in the cold as it is. It's kind of hard to distinguish what is from what.

17. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

My HD has never squeeked in the cold.... My 2000 1500 never squeeked in the cold... my fathers 2002 1500 ext cab never squeeks when it is cold... Maybe this is a clue that something is wrong... the only noise I have ever had has been the steering shaft clunk and the slap from the rear leaf springs...

18. BIG DRIFT

BIG DRIFT Member

Hows the bed to the back bumper, still the same clearance ??

19. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I tend to agree with Frozen. My 2000 1/2 ton doesn't squeak either, once in a while when it's -25 or colder I may get a squeak or two, with or without the plow. And personally, when it's that cold out...I squeak too.

Buck

20. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i had a 2000 chevy 1500 and i had the exact problem when i just saw that picture i thought it was my truck